Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Knipex Adjustable Wrench Review

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:00 pm

The video review of this wrench is at the bottom of this review.

I've used Crescent adjustable wrenches for many years - you know, those Crescent wrenches that you are (probably) using wrong, as I demonstrated in this video from several months ago?

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

I recently found this new wrench, called a Knipex adjustable wrench. In appearance, it looks like a cross between a Crescent wrench and a set of Channelock pliers:

However, there's one main difference: Channellock pliers, shown here, have a single pivot, so the jaws open at an angle, as shown here:

The Knipex adjustable wrench, on the other hand, has an adjustable rack and pinion gear that slides the lower jaw open in a way that keeps it parallel to the top jaw - so that it fits around a bolt head properly:

Unlike a Crescent wrench, which depends on the thumbwheel to apply pressure to the jaws, keeping it tight on the bolt (usually meaning it loosens, slips off and rounds off the bolt), the Knipex uses your hand strength, amplified through leverage, to apply tremendous pressure to the jaws, keeping it rock solid on the bolt head.

The wrench shown above is the small, 5 inch version. I also have the larger, 10 inch version. Notably, it has serrations on the metal that allow you a better purchase on the wrench:

The 10 inch version can work with bolts up to 52mm, or 2 inches in size. Note the small window where laser-etched numbers show when you have adjusted the wrench for the correct bolt size - in this case, I have it set to work with a 5/8" bolt.

Flip it over, and you get the metric measurement, here it's set to work with a 17mm bolt.

Also notable is the nice, narrow jaws, that let you get into tight spaces.

How doe sit work? Amazingly well! They easily tighten and loosen every bolt I tried them on, and are tight and solid - never loose. They are made in Germany, and the quality of the tool is very high. Here's a video of me demonstrating them:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

They are little expensive, at around $40, but they are a quality tool that should last a lifetime - and I guarantee you will be reaching for them every time you need to work with a bolt. They're that good!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X ... ingdocs-20

jgarrett
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Limited, GL1200L

Re: Knipex Adjustable Wrench Review

Post by jgarrett » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:22 am

I have both the one you have and the big one and they work great! If you need to squeeze the hell out of a nut/bolt this is the tool to have. A little spendy but you get what you pay for.

Jump Wings
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Goldwing

Post by Jump Wings » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:24 pm

Good review Admin. I have not heard of this tool yet. It falls into the catagory of, why didn't anyone think of that before. I imagine the price will come down as it's on the market. In the meanwhile I'll continue to use box wrenches and sockets whenever possible. I cringe when I see people using Cresent wrenches and Channel locks. Most of people use them incorrectly.
Mike

82nd Abn. Div. 67 - 69 Ft. Bragg, N.C.
173rd Abn. Brg. 69 - 70 Vietnam

jgarrett
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Limited, GL1200L

Post by jgarrett » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:53 pm

I bought mine about 20 years back, they are mostly in "speciality" stores. I was at an electrical contractors store when I first spotted them. They were expensive then and are even worse now. They are German made so you know they will cost the $$$$.

NevsMate
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 dressed, unsure if true Interstate (but, investigating)

Post by NevsMate » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:01 pm

I have one somewhere... from when I was training as a plumber back in..... early 1970's. Apparently these wrench/pliers have been around since 1934 - ish!
Plumber, Butcher, UK Armed Forces, Mountain Rescue Volunteer, Distribution Manager, I.T. Consultant

Kactus59
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Post by Kactus59 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:08 pm

Wonderful review Admin. As usual you cover it in depth! I'm sold. I've never spun a crescent wrench wrong, but growing up our nickname for them was called "knucklebusters", Because inevitably they would slip and well, you can guess. The Knipex will soon be in my tool grab bag for sure. Might get 2 sizes for those "wish I had a bigger wrench " job! Thank you for being here for all of us in the "Goldwing world". God bless you and all of us during this global pandemic. May the rubber keep rolling on the surface and the wind gently caress our machines.. throttle on

Jump Wings
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Goldwing

Post by Jump Wings » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:35 pm

NevsMate wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:01 pm
I have one somewhere... from when I was training as a plumber back in..... early 1970's. Apparently these wrench/pliers have been around since 1934 - ish!
Apparently the company started around 1885. They originally made end nips and added to the line over the last 135 years. Learn something new everyday. This time it was something old that I didn't know.

Mike

82nd Abn. Div. 67 - 69 Ft. Bragg, N.C.
173rd Abn. Brg. 69 - 70 Vietnam