Removable tongues

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
Spence
Motorcycle: 2010 1800
2002 r1150rs

Removable tongues

Post by Spence » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:03 pm

Do any of the camping trailers have removable tongues to make them easier for inside storage?

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Removable tongues

Post by CrystalPistol » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:14 pm

Spence wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:03 pm
Do any of the camping trailers have removable tongues to make them easier for inside storage?
Never seen one, but it'd be easy to fabricate.

I think this is an excellent idea if done so that it's at least as stout when in place. You could even add a short piece of chain, use a means to lock it to the trailer so the trailer is locked if you maybe lock the tongue to a post or some near immovable object while out & about touring?

I've thought about it for my CM2000 trailer as it sits parked in my "trike room" behind the trike, the front most part, the coupler is low enough the trike will back over it, but I could save a couple feet or more if the tongue was removable. I've also thought about making it "fold up" like a carrier based Corsair's wings (I like this). I just never done it yet. I'd need to pull the pigtail or splice it back or … put a plug in it … & also devise a block or front support under the trailer box too.

I know it's in the yard here, but I worked this up to illustrate for my uses. My "trike room" is an enclosed portion of an unused patio off my basement under the full length front porch, doors to side so trike & trailer are in the 20 foot long part of the total 32 foot length, about 8 feet wide.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)