Painting ABS - 1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Painting ABS - 1500

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:01 pm

Have been doing some maintenance on my 1500 and ABS repair/painting has been one of the maintenance requirements. Bike is 25 years old so there is bound to be some breakage, cracks and such. The left panel by my knee had a corner broken and securing tab missing:

The right side mirror trim piece was cracked at the front lower corner as well. I had just finished painting my V-Strom panniers using spray cans, but the 1500 is the Pearl Glacier White that is a 3 part application. Went to a local parts store and discussed my requirement with the paint department. Took in the panel so he could colour match and put together the paint I needed.

We discussed sanding and in the area that was affected he recommended a 600 grit to remove the shine and as a final sand of the repaired area:

Also had to repair the front fairing in this area (before):

After repair and painted:

Paint used was Valspar. Clear coat was spray can:

This is a 2 part clear coat in a spray can.

Sanded the affected area with 600 grit. The rest of the panel was scuffed with 1000 grit. Complete panel was scuffed with a scotch pad, then cleaned with rubbing alcohol (doesn't build up a static charge).

This is my first foray into using spray guns. Bought a set of Devilbiss guns:

. Decided to buy this set for a couple of reasons. First, good tools can make up for lack of expertise and good tools last longer, and spare parts are available.

My paint guy loaned me one of his as well. Nice to have enough spray guns so I didn't have to do a paint change using the same gun. Base coat went on well, as did the mid Pearl coat. I was timid with the clear coat and because of this, the finish was a pebbled look.

The colour match was quite good according to my paint guy, pleased with this. He mentioned that I did not apply enough clear and that I should not be timid. We discussed the way ahead to rectify the pebbled look. He recommended 1000 grit to knock down the pebble effect, then new coats of clear - this time using a spray gun. I asked about using a finer grade of paper and he mentioned that finer is not always better. Took him at his word and learned that I would have to spend a lot of time using 1000 grit to sand through the clear coat.

I was much more liberal with the clear coat application second time round. The finished product at this stage is quite good, I'd estimate 85% of original:

I do believe I can get a better finish so plan is to leave alone and let it cure and harden fully and revisit in 3 to 4 weeks. My paint guy mentioned that an 800 grit dry or 1000 wet would be good to redo the clear.

I knew that there were other small issues with tabs and such that should be addressed and these will now be taken care of. The other panels have some dings, scratches and the likes that would be nice to freshen as well.

When I was researching/perusing the forums to do this project, found a thread that mentioned painting a bike could impact on resale. Thought was that a person buying the bike would think something had gone amiss like damage or dropping. Since I am keeping this bike for a while, not a huge resale market right now for a 25 year old bike, I want it to look good and I get to learn a new skill. I should have picked up on these items when I bought the bike, but no matter how fussy you are at buying, you can always miss something.

Will post pics of installed panel.

Painted the shelter and other trim pieces as well. Next post.

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Re: Painting ABS - 1500

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:16 pm

Mentioned that I painted the trim pieces such as the dash, shelter, arm rests, and front pocket covers. Used SEM products for the Adhesion Promoter and colour. Colour was Shadow Blue - quite a bit lighter than the OEM original. If I don't like the colour after a fashion, easy to redo, and the colour can be mixed so that it is much closer to original - spray guns are wonderful. This pic is of the rear arm rests:

The blue is not as dark as original - original is closer to the colour of the arm rest. The overall result is good and it freshens the look. I took everything apart front and rear. This pic shows there is a difference between the OEM and new colour - picture does show a difference. Right is painted, left is original:

Putting everything back on the bike and will take pics once I roll it out of the garage. Colour should be better out in the sunlight. More to follow.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:11 pm

Finished putting the bike back together today. Cleaned parts as they went on. Took it for a spin around the block and have a speedo again, replaced the speedo cable and wheel gear box.

The finished product is quite good. With the seat on can see why the colour of the plastic trim was a much darker blue. Good thing is a repaint to a darker colour with a spray gun is probable. Be able to mix a colour needed. Here are a few pics of the finished product. Unless you get close and personal, you won't be able to see the panel repair. This first pic shows the panel I repaired next to the shelter that I painted:

Here are some outside pics.
The first is the side with the panel I repaired:

The result is quite good I think.

That's it for this bike for now. Ready for summer cruising, maybe.

Ernest

aholloway17
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Interstate

Post by aholloway17 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:36 pm

Nice job! I did mine with a rattle can!
Attachments

1994 GL1500 Interstate

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:35 am

Thanks - yours looks great. Would have stuck with spray bombs, but always wanted to get spray guns - this just accelerated the purchase. The paint on the 1500 is as I mentioned Pear Glacier White requiring a 3 part application because of the mid.

Took the bike for a ride down to show my paint guy what I had accomplished. He liked how the repaired/painted panel blended in and was a good fit with the rest of the panels. The C-19 make work project list kicked in and I ordered enough base and mid (pearl) to do the entire bike - already have enough clear on hand. Noticed on the way into town that the original clear coat had yellowed over time, to be expected. There are other dings and such that have been fixed sort of. We looked at the blue trim pieces and have agreed that it is too light so a custom mix closer to original is being mixed.

Mechanically, the 1200/1500 and V-Strom are done, but want to keep busy. Like learning new skills as well and the idiosyncrasies that go with them.
There are a number of individual letters and emblems "glued" onto the plastics. Have to find a source for possible replacements. Discussed this with my paint guy and he mentioned a product called Press-in-Place Emblem Adhesive:

Looked at a couple of YouTube videos and this is some slick product. Bit pricey at approx $50.00 CDN for 10 2X12 inch strips. Now to find some info on removing emblems - paint guy mentioned fishing line drawn down in behind the emblem.

Checked out a few more painting videos and one fellow - customspraymods - used an adhesion promoter before he painted spray can or spray gun. Will have a discussion regarding this. He made it look easy as he does it all the time and the difference between spray can and spray gun was negligible. Wanted to further my education regarding painting as well - lots of good info to digest such as spray can fan patterns, learn something new each day, keeping an overlap, where to point the nozzle and such. Lots to learn.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:58 am

Have ordered the paint for the bike and should pick it up early this coming week. Having a colour mixed that will be closer to the original blue for the trim pieces. Don't have a lot of emblems chrome to remove and will start on these this weekend. There are chrome pieces on the lower side panels and saddlebags where the passenger feet are:

Not a fan of a lot of chrome, so these will be coming off and something different going back on that will provide protection for the paint in this area. Have looked at some information of the web regarding paint protection film, vinyl wrap and ceramic coatings. More research to do. Another reason for changing to a different product for this area is I want to put the Goldwing emblems back on.

I estimate that it will take about a week to do the bike, only so much room in the garage at any one time. There are a few repairs to be made - noticed more as I was doing the panel and trim painting - but these can be done during and after the painting is done. Have to clean up this space nightly so Sonya's car can come inside. The front fairing will be done in situ. Looking forward to starting and getting to the finished product.

Ernest