Covid-19 quarantine

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Kactus59
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Covid-19 quarantine

Post by Kactus59 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:55 pm

Just wanted to shout out to everyone, I hope for us all, that we are safe and/or will recover. Myself, belonging in the 60 and up crowd, along with diabetic and past cardiac troubles, I find myself feeling a bit wary of any, or much travel at this time. I have been, you might say, "quarantining" myself in the woodshop, and feeling blessed to keep busy. The weather around here on Cape Cod just hasn't given too much opportunity to get out and ride, although with the whole, stay at home and "shelter in place" really makes me wonder if the bad weather is just a blessing in disguise! However last weekend, (or was it the weekend before?) I put a new battery in the old girl and got her running and spiffed up, even fixed a loose connection on my right brake light. I'm ready, when the world is ready! How bout you all? Are you out blazing the trails? Going outright insane? Worried about, or suffering a loss? We are in this together, and I believe we are all here for each other, motorcycle related or not. God bless everyone. Throttle on. KWC

Joe in SD
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE 2007 Shadow Spirit 750

Re: Covid-19 quarantine

Post by Joe in SD » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:28 pm

Out here in South Dakota, we have been requested to self quarantine if possible. Just my wife and I (both retired) with the nearest neighbor 1/2 mile away. Getting anxious to go riding or fishing. Going on 3rd week now. Honey do list nearly complete. Bike trip to Key West on indefinite hold. May not happen this year. It could be a lot worse though. Hope everyone comes through this mess. Ride safe (if you can get out). Joe

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Post by Pam » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:44 pm

Wife and I are back six weeks early from our first winter with no snow (Casa Grande Az). We were told to self isolate for 14 days when we crossed the border. We are in good health so far on day 4 and don't expect any issues. The bike is still in the toy hauler and will be for a few days yet. NT much sense unloading it in a snow bank. Going to tackle a leaky heater core on the old Camaro before this is over. Scary part is we are doing our due diligence and when we can go out to pick up supplies we have to interact to some extent with others. Keep your distance and try to be safe

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:51 pm

Colorado just issued statewide Shelter-in-Place orders until Apr 11 to follow the orders issued by City of Denver on Monday.

I've been telecommuting for two weeks now. At least I have a job where I can do that. I have much to be thankful for.

I wonder if just riding the motorcycle around without stopping anywhere (bicycles are still allowed) would qualify in the government's eyes as acceptable "Social Distancing" ?
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:03 pm

DenverWinger wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:51 pm
I wonder if just riding the motorcycle around without stopping anywhere (bicycles are still allowed) would qualify in the government's eyes as acceptable "Social Distancing" ?
Only if it's a Harley and you have some tattoos. ;)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:07 pm

Thankfully I can also work from home, and this is my second week of doing so. My wife is not so lucky, her business basically ended two weeks ago and she will be having zero income for the forseeable future. From the way things look right now, this will be an ongoing thing for quite some time to come. Looking at the statistics, people are not realizing that we are still at the very beginning stages of this pandemic here in North America. It's unfortunately going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

We will prevail, here's hoping everyone stays healthy and comes out the other end of this thing in good shape, physically and financially.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:13 pm

DenverWinger wrote:
Colorado just issued statewide Shelter-in-Place orders until Apr 11 to follow the orders issued by City of Denver on Monday.

I've been telecommuting for two weeks now. At least I have a job where I can do that. I have much to be thankful for.

Our neighbor next door, her kids live in Denver, and lost both of their jobs when the restaurants and bars were closed. they have managements at both places, she the restaurant and he the bar....

They skipped out this morning, and arrived here in Oologah, OK around 6 pm local..... loaded up their precious valuables, left the pickup truck in the garage or driveway? and jumped in his wife's SUV and shagged out before anyone could stop them....

hope to hell, they stayed clear of other people before they came down here.... there is about 400 feet between our houses, so unless I walk over there, we should be okay.

We are wondering how they will pay the rent on their condo while out of a job?
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:20 am

I'm using this time to get at work/projects that I have wanted to do for some time. These always get put on the back burner when able to ride freely. No fun riding right now as everything is pretty much closed, no washroom facilities available, but gas is. I'm calling this my C-19 to do list time - could run out of things to do, probably not.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:52 am

My sister's daughter-in-law in SLC, UT has come down with all the symptoms of CV-19.
Doctor told her to go home, stay in quarantine, and do twice daily temperature checks.

if her temps starts to spike, she is to go to the ER immediately.
she is an "at risk" person, having had a double mastectomy for cancer, and went thru the immuno drug program, and the radiation follow up.

very worried about and their family, she has two older teenage daughters
~John
What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:17 am

DenverWinger wrote:
Until you have one of those 'unplanned ride termination' events - then what happens?

I fully recognize and accept the risk that could happen any time a motorcycle ride is taken. With what is happening with medical facilities (those same ones you get taken to when crap goes sideways...personal experience speaking now...) locally and around the country, the calculation for risk/reward with every motorcycle ride is now drastically different.

In states where things are not locked down (e.g. here in ¡Arizona! for example), yeah we could still go for a ride, probably will go for a short picnic ride this weekend, but...anything of significance?

Maybe not.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 am

kwthom wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:17 am
DenverWinger wrote:
Until you have one of those 'unplanned ride termination' events - then what happens?

I fully recognize and accept the risk that could happen any time a motorcycle ride is taken. With what is happening with medical facilities (those same ones you get taken to when crap goes sideways...personal experience speaking now...) locally and around the country, the calculation for risk/reward with every motorcycle ride is now drastically different.

In states where things are not locked down (e.g. here in ¡Arizona! for example), yeah we could still go for a ride, probably will go for a short picnic ride this weekend, but...anything of significance?

Maybe not.
this is my worry also...
I am 78 and if I have an "OFF bike" experience, I will be crammed into a horrible place w/o lots of Space to Isolate in..... the hospital I would be sent to has a lot of people on ventilators right now. :(

we have six acres with a 1/3rd of it in trees, so we have to be outside some to just maintain the place properly.
I have a small 3 wheel scooter, Piaggio MP3 which takes rough ground with nary a whimper, so I can ride around here at home a bit and release some anxiety that way.....

we went out to the shop yesterday and day before, and pulled out a lot of stuff that has been hiding for 10 years, took some to the street and left for neighbors to get..... threw a lot on the trailer and went to the dump, stayed 50 feet away from anyone there.
~John
What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:41 am

I've been thankful for the warm temps here and the country roads in central Florida as I've been able to ride by myself and stay away from everyone. It's good therapy and I'm grateful for the opportunity.

I'm a nurse in a hospital so I'm around lots of sick patients but I wear all of the gowns/masks/gloves and wash my hands until I can't see straight. I remain very thankful to be working as so many are without right now. I am able to ride to work as we park in a big garage, protecting the bike from the elements (again, good therapy and stress relief).

I agree we're not at the end of this pandemic at the moment. Hoping and praying for all of those affected and for all who are out of work. I saw a good quote the other day which said "Every storm runs out of rain". Hope this will all end soon (it will end at some point).

Wishing everyone on the forum and their families good health. Be safe and pray all of us are able to ride as the warmer months arrive.

kwthom

Post by kwthom » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:22 am

kwthom wrote:
The lockdown is gradually getting stronger here...

"Developed portions, such as group sites, restrooms and visitor centers of national forests in Arizona and three other states are closed until June 30 <...>

Also, Pima County said Friday it was closing access to all of its park ramadas beginning Monday."

:cry:
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
̶S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶v̶e̶
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:32 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 am
kwthom wrote:

this is my worry also...
I am 78 and if I have an "OFF bike" experience, I will be crammed into a horrible place w/o lots of Space to Isolate in..... the hospital I would be sent to has a lot of people on ventilators right now. :(
It's no different than if you had a heart attack. Or slipped in the shower and cracked your head open. Or severely cut yourself while prepping dinner. You deal with it, if and when it happens.

kwthom

Post by kwthom » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:52 pm

minimac wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:32 am
It's no different than if you had a heart attack. Or slipped in the shower and cracked your head open. Or severely cut yourself while prepping dinner. You deal with it, if and when it happens.
Incorrect. The risk/reward equation has substantially changed!

Enjoyment of a motorcycle has included in the calculation a bit of 'there's a hospital/clinic around' if the time came that you needed it.

The hospital is certainly still there, but you just now get in line with the others in that facility for care. :shock: Same with the 'doc in a box' situation.

For some riders, that equation hasn't appreciably changed.

Look, that also goes for those of us who *are* staying much closer to home, but doing household activities that could *also* put you at a higher risk (laceration from a razor knife, falling off a ladder...) as well.

Forty years of safety lessons learned at home and at work now really go into effect. What level of effort can you do to minimize (not eliminate; impossible) risk.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate (Sold)

Post by trike lady » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:30 pm

The governor of New Mexico had pretty much told us to stay inside and to only go out if necessary and so I started on a lot of projects and stuff I had around and as of today I have completed 4 puzzles, 1 cross stitch and put Windows XP Pro on one of my Dell E6410s to put some older games on it. I ordered an OEM Dell Windows Vista Home Premium disk so that I can set up another one to run the cross stitch charting software. I have 2 puzzles and one more cross stitch to complete.
At the senior apartment complex they confiscated all the benches, closed the community room, told us to limit visits, and no visiting when you're doing laundry.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

kwthom

Post by kwthom » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:13 pm

kwthom wrote:
Several doors and door frames repaired, cleaned and painted, household chores - including the once-a-month or once-a-quarter tasks have been completed, and my wife has been part-time working from home.

The AZ gov 'locked-down' the state, effective 5pm local time today...so I think I will plan a short ride tomorrow while my wife is at work.

:?

thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by thunderwing » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:21 pm

I drive an 18 wheeler for a living hauling containers off the rail to large companies and in turn bring containers back to the rail to ship out across the states.

It's a scary time with people hiding behind masks, gloves, and glass windows.....stay on this line, behind this cone. Human contact is being rethought and this is not going away anytime soon. I've worked straight thru this, and carry with me a letter that states I do essential transport work and let me pass thru any curfew or checkpoint. I can tell you it is no fun and the risks involved are real and in my head everyday I work.

So far so good. God forbid any sickness whatsoever as I need to continue keeping my household afloat and the goods flowing down the interstate. Home every night....disinfect many times a day.

As John Cougar/Meloncamp says "Ain't that America", well it is now.

God bless to all of you....I wish I could hide in a woodshop!!! or a garage and work on my bike all day. lol!!!
Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry sold
1987 Yamaha Radian sold
1983 Gl1100 interstate sold
1983 GL650 Silverwing sold
Trucker/ Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

phandrews
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Goldwing ABS, 2007 BMW R1200S, 2007 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW R1250RT

Post by phandrews » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:11 am

Just when we were getting geared up for spring riding, eh? A few years ago we shipped our Wing to Europe and have had many great trips there since. We ended our last trip in Zagreb, Croatia and planned an April trip covering the Balkans. We since figured that was not going to happen anytime soon, but then Zagreb experienced a severe earthquake a couple weeks ago. We were relieved to hear from our host there that he and his employees are okay. The bikes he stores are kept in an underground garage and there was no damage. But we have to wonder when we'll ever get back to Europe to continue our excursions that we so look forward to.

Going without the Goldwing here stateside has limited our multi-day trips here to a BMW GS that's not to my pillion's liking. It's a very tall bike, and even with a Russell saddle, this has not been the best touring machine for two. So we found ourselves in Arizona to escape the cold of our Colorado mountain home in February. In Tucson I found a new BMW R1250 RT that won my heart and left it at the dealership, planning to fly down and ride it home when the weather permitted. Well that now isn't going to happen either. So now it's being shipped. How the heck do you leave a brand new ride in the garage and hunker down inside? Sounds unhealthy to me. But hey - these are First World problems, and we're lucky to have options. My heart aches for the millions who live unsheltered in dense environments with no hope of avoiding this catastrophe. Prayers to all of you, your friends and families to stay healthy and safe.

gipsy42
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE
1978 GL1000

Post by gipsy42 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:36 pm

Starting on March 10, our president asked us to self contain in home as prevention to the Covid-19, on next week March 16 he issued a decree ordering a full lockdown but health and food supply till March 31st, later extended it to April 12th, also closing all borders. Thanks to those actions so far we only have about 1300 cases and 40 deaths people.
Fortunately my family is Ok, and I'm hided in my garage/workshop, working on the bike cleaning what's already clean; and trying not to fix ( break :shock: ) whatever doesn't need to be fixed :D :D :
God bless you all, keep yourself safe and in home.
Good weekend.
Mario
aka Gipsy42
And still riding...
I just regrets the things I haven't done.

http://www.surfcam.com.ar
http://www.cre-angeles.org.ar

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:28 pm

all of the "sane persons" are paying attention to Stay at Home....

we are, I'm 78 and when I first read of CV19 I became a hermit in our home.
fortunately, we have six acres of grass and trees so I can get outside and exercise, pick up downed tree limbs, and mow the grass in between the spring rain storms....

were it not for the Internet and my eBooks, I would be depressed .... but we will survive this.

~John
What is the Forum Index?

Download it here: