Madstad Windshield and LED Lights

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
GBKid
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE 25 Year Anniversary Edition

Madstad Windshield and LED Lights

Post by GBKid » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 pm

After seeing the Madstad Windshield, Electrical Connection LED Headlight, and the SoCal Position and Driving Lights reviews I order all of them from Cyclemax and installed them today on my 2000 GL1500SE. The most challenging installation job were the Electrical Connection Headlights. Despite the review saying there was plenty of room behind the Headlight Assembly, it took some trial and error to find a location to attach the power regulator modules. I found the only place they could be attached with mounting tape so the Headlight Assembly would fit back in was on the outer edges on the housing behind the Headlight Assembly (see photos). The plugs also had to be maneuvered, but I was able to reassemble it. And wow, what a difference in the brightness! I can’t wait to try them out in the dark and to see how the Madstad windshield performs. First the weather here in Wisconsin has to improve. Rain the next few days and still in the 40’s for the foreseeable future. I also replaced the spark plugs to boot as long as I had it apart. I appreciated the reviews and tech info provide by Wingmaster and the members who responded to my questions. Thank you!
Attachments

Before
Before

Before
Before

After
After

After
After

After
After

After
After

Power Regulator Modules mounting locations
Power Regulator Modules mounting locations

Last edited by GBKid on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Madstad Windshield and LED Lights

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:07 pm

temp made it to 70* here today, I got the 1800 out and went for a slow ride around my home area, county roads only, no traffic at all.

what I did notice though, was how all of the road signs lit up when my low beam HIDs hit them, they were brighter than the evening sun even facing into the sun, from a distance of about 1/4 mile.

I don't ride at night any more, can't risk running into the 4 legged deer around here.

and I do love my Madstad.... allows me to raise or lower it, depends on what I want.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

GBKid

Post by GBKid » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:20 pm

Good to hear. I don’t ride at night too often if I can help it either for the same reasons, but these lights I’m sure will make it easier to see deer and other animals that can ruin your day. Being seen in the daytime will be better with these lights too. I got hit on my late ‘89 GL1500 2 1/2 years ago, but I was rear ended by some punk getting chased by the cops, so it had nothing to do with the lighting. However, I don’t want to go through that again so anything I can do to improve my safety I’m doing it. Being seen is a big one. Happy Trails to you this Riding Season!

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:59 pm

I lost a very nice '94SE in Jan 2008

~John
What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

GBKid

Post by GBKid » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:17 am

Very happy to see you survived and had the courage to get back on a bike. Initially, I told myself was never going to ride again, but as I started recovering AND getting my monthly newsletters from this site, I realized it was part of my life, a passion, that I was not going to let the actions of someone else change. I was rear-ended by a punk getting pursued by the police in Terre Haute, IN on September 13, 2017, seven hours into a 12 day tour that included Nashville, Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway, and other locations. I was going 35 mph and he hit me at 90 mph. Lights out immediately, didn’t even know what happened, never heard it coming. Of course I was wearing a helmet and good Tourmaster jacket and without that equipment I wouldn’t be having this conversation with you. Everybody, please wear your protective equipment! I’m living proof it makes a difference. Here are a few pics of my bike post crash, my protective equipment, and one of me and my brother taken 9 minutes before We we’re hit. My brother took my pic. He was just ahead of me and got sideswiped and was seriously injured also. He got another bike too.

Happy Trails and Godspeed!
Attachments

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:26 am

wow,
your bike was totalled out a lot worse than mine was.....
you got rear ended.

I was merged into the center median by the rig straddling that median....

the 1st Responders opened my riding jacket and saw my Fire Department uniform shirt, and by "hearsay" it was reported back to me that they exclaimed "Damn this guy is one of ours"..

they had me in the ER and my paperwork stamped 8 minutes from the time the accident happened.
I was very lucky to have been wearing my full ATGATT and my Fire Dept uniform,

My admin paperwork had a big Red VIP stamp on it....
I was in ICU for 5 days in a medically induced coma as I had several concussions related to my helmet coming off of my head.

the Accident Investigator came up to my Recovery Room and talked with me to get "my side of the story".... he said that I had laid down a lot of Zig Zag hard braking marks on the pavement between my HOV lane and the median wall trying to stop before that truck hit me.

that accident destroyed my balance even yet today ( that was Jan 2008 ), destroyed my body's ability to adjust to swinging temperature extremes. very narrow now, between 50ish and 85* max. I have to add clothes to get warm, or find an Air Conditioner or cold shower to cool down...

and it destroyed my short term memory..... I have to work really hard to try and remember something long than 5 minutes.

this link goes to an album where my pix are stored:
https://imgur.com/gallery/qKyEY
~John
What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

GBKid

Post by GBKid » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:38 am

Man, that’s awful! My injuries and long term issues are no where as severe as yours. I’m so sorry for you. Seeing you were also in public safety as a fireman, I’ll share with you I was a Detective and at that time in law enforcement for 30 years. I had to retire because of that crash, but I’m doing good overall now despite of it all. I went 30 years on the job without getting much more than a scratch or a minor bruise, other than a sprained ankle, and that day I’m on vacation minding my own business and get involved in a police incident without wanting to. As they say in our business, “you can’t make this **** up!” But that’s all in the past now and just a memory. I found a new appreciation of life and the simple things in them, like riding my Goldwing!

Here’s a link from my local paper reporting the crash a few days later.

https://whbl.com/news/articles/2017/sep ... -accident/

Take Care and enjoy your riding season and life!

Road Ranger
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by Road Ranger » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:10 am

I got t-boned by a guy that had been arrested for drunk driving three times, best part being this happened when he was leaving a beer distributor with 10 cases of beer he then walked away from the accident and the police found him later in the VFW drunk. I later found out they left him back out of jail again, ran a red light and killed an elderly lady.

GBKid

Post by GBKid » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:01 pm

That is awful also. The guy that hit me had a revoked driver’s license and of course no insurance, was high on meth, had a probation violation apprehension request issued on him, had just committed a retail theft, and was driving a car he was suppose to return to the owner a week earlier. He ran my brother and I down like we were animals, continued fleeing and crashed because he hit me so hard it broke his right tie rod. Then he ran into a dealership where he crashed, stole a truck with the keys in it, then continued fleeing in got away because the police stopped and rendered aid to us. He was caught 3 days later in the adjacent State of Illinois and has been jailed since. Here’s a pic of the car he was driving. All the front end damage is from rear-ending me. There was a scratch and a small dent on the right side where he side-swiped my brother.
Attachments

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:38 pm

Drunks and Meth users have no respect for us, they are not capable of respect, and belong in jail for the rest of their life. I don't like that, because we have to pay for their room and board, I would prefer a hole to bury them in, end of expense to the public.
~John
What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

GBKid

Post by GBKid » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:45 pm

Well, I took my Wing out today for its maiden voyage this season and I am VERY pleased with the performance of the MadStad windshield! Love it! The bike performed great also. It should be noted I did the winterization as outlined in the “How To” articles from Wingadmin, as I have always done and that was done on November 3 this past year because of our lovely Wisconsin weather that gave of us our first measurable snow on Halloween and it stayed cold after that.
I have a question. Does anybody know if Honda Pro Cleaner is safe to use on the MadStad windshield? It sure would be convenient because I always carry a can on the bike and I did get a few bug splats today.

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:23 pm

GBKid wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:45 pm
Well, I took my Wing out today for its maiden voyage this season and I am VERY pleased with the performance of the MadStad windshield! Love it! The bike performed great also. It should be noted I did the winterization as outlined in the “How To” articles from Wingadmin, as I have always done and that was done on November 3 this past year because of our lovely Wisconsin weather that gave of us our first measurable snow on Halloween and it stayed cold after that.
I have a question. Does anybody know if Honda Pro Cleaner is safe to use on the MadStad windshield? It sure would be convenient because I always carry a can on the bike and I did get a few bug splats today.
Madstad states that it is impervious to all of the regular windshield cleaners.
I never worry about it, I also use "Bugs Off" which dissolves the bug's membranes.

usually though, I just get towel wet with maybe a few drops of Dawn, and lay that over the windshield...
go take a shower, come back out, and they wipe right off.
Pledge Lemon Wax works great, that and the Honda stuff, and Bugs Off are in the trunk....
I used the Lemon wax as a "wash agent", spray it on all of he plastics liberally to dissolve road dust/oil.
let it soak 15-30 seconds and wipe it off.
~John
What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

GBKid

Post by GBKid » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:43 pm

I don’t want to mess with all of that. The Honda Pro Cleaner is great for all of the ABS plastic and I used it on the OE windshield with no issue and it worked great. I would prefer to use it I the MadStad windshield for convenience sake, but I need to know if it’s safe. I’ll call MadStad if necessary, but if you know if someone here knows I’ll rely on that information. Thanks for the response. Happy Trails!

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:38 pm

I have had the Mastad for about 2 years now.

I don't worry about what I clean it with, nothing has ever caused it to haze.
as I mentioned, I usually just lay a wet towel over it, let it soak, and wipe the bugs off.

then I hit it with Lemon Pledge or the Honda stuff, whichever I find first when looking.

there is also a cleaner that I have used for 30+ years on aircraft windshields, called Plexus.
guarantee that will not hurt any windshield.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/fb ... plexus.php
~John
What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:11 pm

GBKid wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:45 pm
It sure is. It works amazingly well, and leaves a slight wax coating behind on the windshield that helps disperse rain.

GBKid

Post by GBKid » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:11 pm

Thanks for the response WingAdmin. I will go with that. And thanks for your dedication to this site. I really appreciate it. Godspeed!