Not riding? How do you keep yourself busy?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Not riding? How do you keep yourself busy?

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:25 pm

Normally I will have been riding for weeks already at this point of the year. This year...my GL1500 is still in it's winter slumber.

Like most people, I'm sequestered at home, lucky enough to be able to work still.

I got to thinking - what are other people doing to keep themselves busy when riding isn't necessarily on the menu?

I've personally been doing music with synthesizers since I was in my mid-teens, and do it still just for fun, as a way to do something just for fun rather than work:

My studio
My studio

I've only recently started putting things out publicly, and you can hear some of them here:

https://tinyurl.com/ArtHorizons

So...what do you do for fun when you can't ride?

nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: Not riding? How do you keep yourself busy?

Post by nwkwinger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:34 am

Nothing's really changed for me. I'm still working too. Between the rain and wind that we've been having lately, I haven't done much riding either.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:13 am

There has been no change for me from winter's behaviours. I am still retired, and doing what I do all winter - as our riding season has not begun. Our governments are toughening up on the stay at home B.S. (only B.S. because I have been pretty much at home for five months now, so it really made no difference) for snowbirds and those coming back from March break, who feel that as long as they do not feel ill (and even if they only feel a little ill) they should shop in as many stores as physically possible before arriving home.

I am freshening up my car (Lincoln MKZ) - nicer wheel nuts, new brake pads, a strut tower brace - stuff to keep busy. I also purchased a belly pan for my GL1800, and when I get a spare fifteen minutes, I will put that on.

All in all - being mildly productive till this is done.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:26 am

Mostly working outside in the yard and garden. We are not indoor people so we are outside most of the day. I am self employed so I can work on my own schedule. Yesterday we packed a picnic and went fishing. Nice to get away for a while. As for going out in public we still have to go shopping for food and to search for toilet paper.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:31 am

I can usually ride year round. However, I took some time off to become a zombie by being killed and returning from the dead.

https://tinyurl.com/uv9hhbb

aperry
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800
1999 GL1500 SE

Post by aperry » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 am

Most things are the same for me except I can't ride. I ride year round usually. I help take care of my grandson and since it finally quit raining work on the house. I finished getting the bike ready for my planned trip to big bend on the 1st of April, but that got cancelled.

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Post by Pam » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:38 pm

We are returning snow birds this year. When we left we had a trailer full of food so we packed lunch and ate on the road, only stopping for fuel. Get in and get out. Now that we are home, I have a heater core to change which may be a challenge. We wonder around the yard as we live in the country and wait for things to clear. Snow all over so no yard work yet. :D

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Post by Sidcar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:34 pm

We’re in virtual lock down here and likely to be so for the next twelve weeks so I’m doing all the jobs I never seemed to have time for. I’ve re-torqued the steering head bearings, changed the coolant, fitted new fuel filter, new trailing arm bearings on the Sidecar, new cam belts and at the moment I’m cleaning the carbs out. One week down only another eleven to go. I asked the company supplying the ant-freeze if it was suitable for my GL1500, they said yes and referred me to the goldwingdocs website!

Sid
Attachments

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:20 pm

Recreational riding is down for us at this time. We are both Medical Technologists in hospital laboratories. She's still getting just full time hours, but I'm getting 6-10 hours OT/week covering increased work load. I ride to & from work weather permitting. We both have "essential personnel" letters from our hospitals quoting the applicable law allowing us travel. A kind of "get out of jail free" card.

We both have today and tomorrow off, so we took a 200 mile loop ride today. We picked up a couple sandwiches at Schlotsky's and picnicked at a seemingly abandoned, but still open park down in Granbury along the Brazos River. Then rode home. Well, we also stopped to pick up a couple of my daughters medication prescriptions, and a few grocery items. We actually found a package of spaghetti pasta that will go great with some mild italian sausage we had in the freezer. Eating good tonight!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:01 am

Well the weather in Chicago has been spotty at best, and with both bikes needing new tires I really wasn’t able to ride even on the good days. I did get in one day of riding on the Magna at the beginning of March, to and from work a whole 20 miles. Was fortunate enough to get tires delivered and changed for both bikes before Illinois went on “Stay at Home”. Been working from home last week and this coming week I’ll be down to 30 hours of work.

My wife works in the medical field and is deemed essential. She also worked from home the first few days, but the company redeployed her for Thursday and Friday as the COVID cases in Chicago have started to increase.

Have been able to get some yard work done on the drier days and this coming week looks to be dry as well so more yard work. Maybe I’ll take the Magna out for a quick spin if we need to pick up any small essentials.

Still trying to find the bolt for my front caliper, but none of the dealerships/service shops that work on Honda’s are open. Finding a few on the internet at a somewhat reasonable price but the shipping is $15.00, that is outrageous. So unless I can find one at a hardware store the Goldwing is going to be parked until this is over.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Post by Pam » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:16 pm

We are on day 8 of our mandatory border isolation and the supplies are still holding up. It got warm enough to start on that heater core( no heated shop) I worked on it for about 4 hours and still haven't got the old core out. After we get past this border isolation we will still restrict our movements, get in get out. Be safe everyone

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:51 pm

I spent some time yesterday trying to figure out how I might livestream video and audio from my system...

aperry
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800
1999 GL1500 SE

Post by aperry » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:56 pm

Rained all day today. Can't work outside. Starting to feel like Groundhogs Day.

Rambozo

Post by Rambozo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 pm

Out of the hospital. So trading one kind of lockdown for another. I sure miss riding.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:33 pm

Rambozo wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 pm
Out of the hospital. So trading one kind of lockdown for another. I sure miss riding.
hope that was not related to the CV19 stuff.

I am pretty much doing what I do all winter anyway, at 78 I'm retired now 10+ years...
I do a lot of book reading, on my Kindle Paperwhite, that helps pass a lot of time.

I help on the forums that I frequent, so that keeps the brain cells gurgling along.

we have six acres of grass and trees, and when the weather is mild, we get out and use the golf car + trailer to help us move around and haul off fallen tree limbs, tear down old cattle fences ( finished that up 3 weeks ago )
our acreage used to be part of a Dairy Farm.

I have made two short rides around my home area on the 1800.
the Piaggio MP3 250cc scooter is still sleeping in the Toy Hauler....
need to get it out, now that the temps are staying above 40*

Try to avoid the Fake News Media as much as possible, we use our Dish Hopper 3 to record the TV episodes that we enjoy, then watch them at a time of our choosing. Love the AutoCommerical Skip on Hopper....
wish more TV channels would support that, but I can understand why they don't.
Fast Forward takes care of that though.

Oklahoma is now in Stay at Home mode, by the governor's EO proclamation thru 4/30

all that is subject to change as we watch the Infection Curve, hope Dr. Fauci is correct in that it should flatten out around 4/30 or so and then trend downwards.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate (Sold)

Post by trike lady » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:38 pm

I have plenty of things to occupy my time from puzzles, to counted cross stitch, cleaning the apartment, going through all kinds of stuff I kept for no reason and putting older versions of Windows on a couple of laptops to run older stuff on. :) I'm looking to get a Roku for the TV and neighbour gave me.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Rambozo

Post by Rambozo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:12 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:33 pm

hope that was not related to the CV19 stuff.

all that is subject to change as we watch the Infection Curve, hope Dr. Fauci is correct in that it should flatten out around 4/30 or so and then trend downwards.
Nope, not the virus, but to be honest I would have probably rather had that. Instead I had scars from blood clots in my lungs removed. I really feel for those that can't breathe, now. Nothing like feeling you're being waterboarded to death. I really wasn't sure I would survive it. The feeling of waking up out of anesthesia was incredible, I was so ecstatic. Getting better everyday. Amazing surgery to get my life back, even if they did have to kill me to pull it off.

I hope everyone is doing their part to flatten that curve. I seem to see more people either off the deep end in panic or ignoring basic precautions. Few seem to be in that middle ground.

I gave up TV many years ago, as their job switched from informing, to entertaining, a long time ago. With the internet we can now actually go to the verified sources like the WHO and the CDC with no newscaster putting their "spin" on the info.

To paraphrase Mark Twain; "If you don't watch TV news you are uninformed. If you do watch TV news you are misinformed."

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:14 am

Rambozo wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:12 pm

Nope, not the virus, but to be honest I would have probably rather had that. Instead I had scars from blood clots in my lungs removed. I really feel for those that can't breathe, now. Nothing like feeling you're being waterboarded to death. I really wasn't sure I would survive it. The feeling of waking up out of anesthesia was incredible, I was so ecstatic. Getting better everyday. Amazing surgery to get my life back, even if they did have to kill me to pull it off.

I hope everyone is doing their part to flatten that curve. I seem to see more people either off the deep end in panic or ignoring basic precautions. Few seem to be in that middle ground.
Wow! just watched video, welcome back to the Living

This afternoon, we emptied out the Samsung Fridge / Freezer because the Sensors buried in its' bowels have to be replaced.... the food stuff went to the garage where we fortunately never did get rid of my 50 year old Amana Side by Side... that thing fired right up, just like it had never been turned off.. it has a coil spring Thermostat, unless this P.O.S. Samsung all electronics crap.

the internet is riff with how bad the Samsung is, I really wish I had surfed for reviews on it before I allowed my wife to pick it out... but, she was in a wheelchair and the fridge outlived her. so I guess all is good.

Cyndi, my daughter, is my caretaker now, I try really hard not to be a burden on her, I saw how bad it was taking care of my wife's parents, both went down with some form of dementia/ Parkinson's?? don't matter, they were in another world, not this one... had no clue who their children are.

I am not allowed off our property, but with six acres, there is enough for me to exercise myself.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:07 am

The "Low Fuel" light on my 1500 works, but when it comes on it is so dim it can hardly be seen. So I breadboarded up a circuit to detect this and light the bulb brightly.

I determined the Low Fuel bulb only sees about 5 volts or so when it comes on. That's pretty dim. So this circuit puts full voltage on the dash bulb. This removes the dash bulb from the low fuel sensor circuit, I needed to figure out how to load the sensor properly.

A 194 bulb measures 2 ohms cold, and draws 240ma lit. That works out to 50 ohms lit. Based on this I determined I can't send power thru a fixed value resistor to the thermister sensor in the tank, it depends on the 2 ohms of the cold bulb to heat itself up and change it's own value, decreasing in resistance to light the bulb, and then it depends on the bulb going up to 50 ohms so it doesn't burn out! So there's a 194 bulb on the breadboard in series with the tank sensor.

The circuit is based on a comparator chip with "open collector" output. I had an LM339 chip handy so used that. There's a voltage divider set to 8v nominally on the inverting input, and the junction of the 194 bulb/tank sensor on the non-inverting input.

When the fuel is low, current flows thru the 194 bulb on the breadboard and the tank sensor, heating the sensor which drops in resistance, dimly lighting the bulb on the breadboard. The voltage at the junction of the bulb and thermister drops from 12v nominally to around 7 volts. This trips the comparator which is set to 8 volts.

The open collector output of the comparator is connected to the base of a garden-variety medium power PNP transistor, collector is grounded, and the emitter is connected to the wire for the Low Fuel light in the dash which formerly was connected to the tank sensor. When the comparator trips, this grounds the base of the transistor, turning it "ON", which grounds the lead from the dash bulb, lighting it brightly with full 12 volts. This circuit should work even with LED bulb in the dash!

There's a couple more resistors in the circuit adding a 1.2 v hysteresis to the non-inverting input of the comparator to minimize random switching on-off.

I've yet to solder it up on a circuit board. I think I will be locating the circuit on the underside of the "Unobtanium 2.0" I got from Bluthundr31 as there will be accessory power available there to power the Oil Pressure and Voltage Gauges I'm installing.

Still waiting for it to be just a little warmer in the garage, I don't work well in cold... But tupperware has been coming off little-by-little as I have a nice little pile of accessories on the workbench that need to go on the bike, the accessories don't do any good sitting on the workbench! Also, this will be an opportunity to do some ABS Tupperware repair.

I can draw up and post the comparator circuit if anyone is interested.....
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:25 pm

DenverWinger wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:07 am
The "Low Fuel" light on my 1500 works, but when it comes on it is so dim it can hardly be seen. So I breadboarded up a circuit to detect this and light the bulb brightly.
Or you could do what Virgilmobile and I did to our GL1500's - probably the best (and most accurate) way to permanently fix the low fuel light: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11167

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:33 pm

I have considered that several times, but sat down and designed this little circuit out of boredom.

I could substitute a potentiometer for the voltage divider, that way if the sensor gets weaker I could adjust for it until it completely gives up.... :lol:
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
̶S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶v̶e̶
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:42 am

How about if you guys explain in plain english for those of us that aren't electronic wizards? inverting input, non-inverting input, comparators,bread board, PNP thingamajigs, etc., All I know about that electric stuff is that it doesn't get along with water, in some circumstances it can kill you, and when I turn on the light switch-magic happens. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Rambozo

Post by Rambozo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:37 pm

Perhaps a bread board is like a sandwich board, but without any one carrying it?

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Post by wing rider 2012 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:00 pm

I have my bike tore apart in the garage, doing maintenance before riding as soon as they life the "stay at home" request. At 70 years old I really don't want to take the chance of catching this virus.

We adopted our grandchildren, ages 13 and 9, so we are busy home schooling them, my respect for teachers has increased by 1000%. This has really kept me busy that last few weeks since Oregon shut down their schools. The great thing about teaching at home is I make sure they understand both sides of the topic they are discussing and not just one side. It's keeping me young.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

Tusler
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE

Post by Tusler » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:05 pm

I'm still working security on Sat and Sun, I took a ride out in the desert the other day when it was almost 80 degrees, I have been playing a lot of Division 2 and Digital Combat Simulator flying the Helos and P51 on the computers, where I live I cannot take the old 97 GW apart so I'm having fun a different way anyway!
you all stay well ! )

Don't forget to ask Jesus for forgiveness before your last ride! :D