gasket sets...advice and experience of brands

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
gc33
Motorcycle: 1981 Gl1100 naked.

gasket sets...advice and experience of brands

Post by gc33 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:43 pm

Hey Guys...A mate of mine who is rebuilding his wing has asked me about gasket sets. For me...head gaskets is an absolute NO BRAINER......HONDA HONDA HONDA!!! As for the rest of the gaskets what experience have you guys had...ive read that vesrah and Athena Brands are crap... but that being said some folk may have other thoughts. There seem to be a few kits out there and unless you know what they are its a bit of a lucky dip. Im considering cutting my own gaskets ie clutch cover etc but again Im wondering what others have experienced and what advice you guys can offer.
Ill be rebuilding my heads, bike has been siiting for 15 years not run, so the seals will be brittle so I think Ill go Honda on them as well as well as cam seals...
Basically im semi stripping my engine to a point I cant paint all cases. I dont need to completely strip the engine and dont really want to disturb it. I dont really want to remove the heads but to do the valve seals im going to need to remove the heads which will allow me to check for corrosion in water galleries etc anyways. ive done the head work before so im no stranger to them...
Look forward to you guys advice...

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: gasket sets...advice and experience of brands

Post by DenverWinger » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:06 am

Not necessary to remove heads to do valve seals. You can save the expense of head gaskets - they're pretty spendy. There's a couple ways to do this:

A) You can get a length of small diameter rope and with the piston halfway down its travel feed a goodly amount of the rope into the cylinder, and then turn the crank so the piston smashes the rope against the valves...

or

B) I took an old sparkplug and smashed out the porcelain guts, and had a buddy of mine with a welder weld the metal sparkplug shell onto one end of a 3" length of 3/8 galvanized pipe and an air chuck fitting on the other end. Thread that into your sparkplug hole and attach your air compressor. 100 PSI of air pressure does a very good job of keeping the valves in place while changing seals. And your new air tool makes a great engine leakdown tester, too!
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

gc33
Motorcycle: 1981 Gl1100 naked.

Re: gasket sets...advice and experience of brands

Post by gc33 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:44 pm

Yeah I know its not necessary to remove and can do them with compressed air. However, I want to check condition of the head surface and valve surface as well. I may need to just gently lap them in...shouldnt need to, im not talking about valve grind..thats a bit of a no no on these valves. But after sitting for sol long, no coolant in the engine as it was drained for storage.I rebuilt my wifes honda legend engine and the heads were corroded etc...previous owner ran wrong coolant or mixed coolants. So thats the reason I will remove the heads anyway, and then while im at it ill do cam seals and valve guide seals.
But Im open to all advice...:-)