Tying down to transport?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1983 GW Interstate (just got)
A pack of Super Cubs
BMW R1200RTP

Tying down to transport?

Post by Solo So Long » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:09 am

Sometime soon, I will be hauling my "new" '83 home.

Any hints on how/where to hook tiedown straps to carry it in a trailer?

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Tying down to transport?

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:22 am

use short double loop straps meant to go over the lower Triple Tree.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/part ... tensions-p

hook the TieDown straps to the double loops, that protects the plastics and cabling.
Compress the forks down a couple inches so the bike is stable left/right, just jostle it to sense that it is pulled down far enough.

then use a Single strap, long one, to hook to left side of trailer, wrap it around the rear tire once, and hook it to the right side of trailer. Cinch that down real snug.

good to go....

the front wheel I put into a Wheel Chock which helps to hold the bike vertical.
I have a Harbor Freight wheel chock bolted onto a 2 ft square piece of 3/4 plywood. works like a champ.

my big bike trailer was made for Goldwings specifically, but will haul any bike.... uses two pieces of Channel Iron for the wheel to track in from front to back of trailer, then there are two Channel Irons vertical at the front of the trailer that takes the place of a wheel chock.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

Joneszy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade Stripped
1999 Valkerie CT
1978 Gl1000 project bike

Post by Joneszy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:12 pm

+1 but just a heads up it is recommended to not use the side stand as a prop or the center stand as you might end up damaging the frame. I tie the bike by the triple tree as stated using "good & strong" ratchet straps and nylon loops with no metal parts to damage the bike and a wheel chock to jeep the bike from walking and make sure it is as far ahead on the trailer as it will go. And as stated compress the front suspension to keep it from bouncing. A couple more ties on the rear give me more peace of mind and keeps it in a stable position. Have towed thousands of miles like that and never a problem and bike never moves.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:42 pm

Joneszy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:12 pm
+1 but just a heads up it is recommended to not use the side stand as a prop or the center stand as you might end up damaging the frame. I tie the bike by the triple tree as stated using "good & strong" ratchet straps and nylon loops with no metal parts to damage the bike and a wheel chock to jeep the bike from walking and make sure it is as far ahead on the trailer as it will go. And as stated compress the front suspension to keep it from bouncing. A couple more ties on the rear give me more peace of mind and keeps it in a stable position. Have towed thousands of miles like that and never a problem and bike never moves.
Tnx for that one, just goes to show, it is very difficult to post Everything in one Post that should, or should NOT be done.
  • No side Stands allowed,
    No Center Stands allowed.
on my Big bike trailer, I can wrap a strap around the front wheel and the trailer upright.
that guarantees that it cannot back up.

On my Toy Hauler, I have to just use the Triple Tree tie downs secured forward of the wheel chock holding the bike in forward direction.

The rear tire strap is secured behind the rear wheel just a bare few inches,
Look close, the 1800's wheel chock is in the left front corner.
This the Piaggio MP3 scooter, front suspension Locks in Place, holds it vertical.
The Canyon Dancer grip cup holder straps pull it down and forwards against the 8x8 block at the door entrance.
No wheel chock needed. The rear strap is not on yet.

this one is hard to see, but all the straps are where I stated, front wheel chock, and rear wheel secured to side eyebolts. Plus it has Canyon Dancer hand grip straps helping to hold the bike stable in the upright position, at the angle the bike has to ride, I once found it laying over on its' side a bit with only the Triple Tree straps. Bought Canyon Dancer grip straps and that stopped that problem.

Before all the straps are on, and the junk that follows us around.

here the 1800 is up on the big bike trailer, and the straps are wrapped around the front wheel and the trailer upright/chock

the wheel chock in the Toy Hauler, mounted to the 24x24 inch 3/4 plywood... it is not bolted down, secured in place by the weight of the bike, plus the Triple Tree tie downs. ( not shown in this pix )

and Everyone, should have this with them, if you are laying on the ground, and the bike is on top of you, and the cellphone is ?????? can't find it, or broken, or no cell signal

toy hauler chock & straps

the Canyon Dancer grip hold down cups straps, very neat, uses cups over the ends of the handlebars, and double loops to hook the Tie Down straps to.

http://www.canyondancer.com/canyondancerbarharness2
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:53 am

Right here in the How-To section: How to tie down Goldwings for transport

Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1983 GW Interstate (just got)
A pack of Super Cubs
BMW R1200RTP

Post by Solo So Long » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:02 pm

Cool, that tells me what I need to know. Thanks, guys!