Painting the 1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: Painting the 1500

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Hope you’re sitting down. The right side piece was $75.00 CDN but is a colour match. Next time I will get those inexpensive chrome ones, remove the chrome and paint to suit. Good idea the tape, even a small piece would help.

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Side cover emblems came in. Will be getting to these soon. Have to put the 1500 on hold for a week or so because I have committed my '85 1200 Limited Edition to a YouTube video that is being made by RyanF9 of Fortnine in Montreal. He is doing a video on the value of older bikes that are coming on the market because some of us older gents are getting out of motorcycling. My late friend's son found his post on a FB video. Ryan was looking for an older GW in the Vancouver, BC area so I threw my hat in the ring - the 1500 was apparently too new, but not the '85 and he accepted. Hadn't planned on having it on the road so soon, but after he accepted I got on cleaning/polishing and getting it out of mothballs. Have spent the last two days getting it ready for next week. He is going to come over next week and do what he does. I will loan him the bike, but going along as a spectator. Going to be interesting and fun. Now to find an insurance company open for business, need to insure and get new stickers for the bike.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Have attached the emblems to the side panels, look very nice:

The left side wing accent piece is here and installed as per recommendation from WingAdmin, using a dab of double sided tape.

Parts from CA have been in Victoria for over a week with UPS. Phoned UPS on Friday and was given the company response about C-19, backlogs, and such; however, when it wants money it is right on top of the issue. Made my point to the messenger that I have paid for the service now get me my package. Will be on it again tomorrow.

Took some time today to start on the lazy susan for upcoming painting - proof of concept. Got the base done. Knew what I wanted to do, have a quick change aspect for jigs, so I got some scrap ply and started to play with a way to use quick change jigs. In the picture you can see the temp brackets I installed to hold the jigs that I will make:

Made a temp jig of 3/8 ply base - 8 inch by 8 inch - and a 2X4 stem:

The jig when installed has the 2X4 over the centre of the Lazy Susan:

Tested this with the lid from my 1200 saddlebag:

Spun the lid and all was good. The 2X4 stem that the part/piece will be perched on can be any length and will be customized to suit. Thinking better to spin the part/piece then to walk around it.

With quick change jigs can paint one piece, remove to waiting area, install another, paint, and repeat. Since flash times are approximately 15 or so minutes, I'm estimating that having 6 pieces on jigs ready to go will be optimum. By the time the last piece is done will be time to start on the first piece again.

I learned from the initial painting that two many parts take up a lot of room and managing a lot of parts/pieces is a challenge. Less chance of dragging the air hose over the fresh paint.

The spray booth area can be enlarged or reduced to suit the painting being done. I have toyed with the idea to do two Lazy Susans to speed up the painting process. Will think about this.

Ernest

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:12 pm
Have attached the emblems to the side panels, look very nice:Side Panel Emblems.jpgThe left side wing accent piece is here and installed as per recommendation from WingAdmin, using a dab of double sided tape.

Parts from CA have been in Victoria for over a week with UPS. Phoned UPS on Friday and was given the company response about C-19, backlogs, and such; however, when it wants money it is right on top of the issue. Made my point to the messenger that I have paid for the service now get me my package. Will be on it again tomorrow.

Took some time today to start on the lazy susan for upcoming painting - proof of concept. Got the base done. Knew what I wanted to do, have a quick change aspect for jigs, so I got some scrap ply and started to play with a way to use quick change jigs. In the picture you can see the temp brackets I installed to hold the jigs that I will make:Lazy Susan.jpgMade a temp jig of 3/8 ply base - 8 inch by 8 inch - and a 2X4 stem:Lazy Susan Jig.jpgThe jig when installed has the 2X4 over the centre of the Lazy Susan:Lazy Susan and Lazy Susan Jig.jpgLazy Susan and Lazy Susan Jig -2.jpgTested this with the lid from my 1200 saddlebag:Lazy Susan Jig with test piece.jpgTest Piece on Lazy Susan.jpgSpun the lid and all was good. The 2X4 stem that the part/piece will be perched on can be any length and will be customized to suit. Thinking better to spin the part/piece then to walk around it.

Great looking stuff Ernest

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

bellboy40 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:03 pm
You might want to adhere a piece of ABS under where those bolts go through the trunk lid to hold that luggage rack on. That will give it a lot more support and resistance to cracking in the future.
Mine were so bad that I was heading down the path of putting 3" doublers on the inside of the lid and 2" polished stainless steel washers (made from flat bar and took me forever!) and rubber on the outside. Luckily, I found a nice looking lid on Ebay, so those repairs are put off for now. I will probably strip all of the paint off, redo the crack repairs and, paint it and sell it.

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

My trunk lid was reinforced, but only the rear luggage rack holes:

I took a piece of 1/8th inch ABS sheet, cut 2 pieces for the front bolt holes, heated the abs and formed it to the trunk lid, sanded the area, applied ABS glue and secured the ABS pieces. Drilled holes for the bolts and all should be good. Easy fix.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Final version of the turntable. It will take an 8X8 base. This will be good enough for last bit of painting for the 1500. Will change think about adapting it so a 12X12 inch base can be used and have an 8X8 base quick change insert. Failing an idea, will make a second turntable. Here are the final pics:

Going to use corrugated plastic for the rear and side walls of the spray booth, Coroplast is one trade name. Lightweight, easy to store.

Found a video about setting up a spray gun for spraying distance. Good information, going to try this concept, wall of air test, over the next week. Here's the link:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Have progressed the next phase of the 1500 painting. Have the parts available, 10 will be done. There are a few dings/gouges, but once painted won't notice or see. Going to clean, sand and then use 2K epoxy primer:

Picked up this morning, last one in stock - more coming
Picked up this morning, last one in stock - more coming

Decided the turntable needed a stop bolt:

Needed to keep the turntable from turning while spraying
Needed to keep the turntable from turning while spraying

Tested one of the new pieces for height and securing to the turntable jig:

Did a test to ensure I could secure the pieces, spin test went well
Did a test to ensure I could secure the pieces, spin test went well

Duct tape makes sure nothing moves
Duct tape makes sure nothing moves

Will have all the pieces on individual jigs to expedite the painting process. This week coming, it's clean and prep the pieces for epoxy primer, and work on the spray booth.

Ernest