How Has COVID-19 Affected Your Riding?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
mberk01
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
2019 Harley CVO Ultra Limited

How Has COVID-19 Affected Your Riding?

Post by mberk01 »

For now I've quit taking overnight trips. I'm afraid of staying in motels and such until the number of new cases drops dramatically. In the interim I have discovered several new scenic loops close to home that I can complete in one 8-hour day. There's something to be said for returning home after a long ride and sitting down to a home-cooked meal. My own bed feels good too.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: How Has COVID-19 Affected Your Riding?

Post by AZgl1800 »

my overnight trips have been curtailed for 3 years for medical reasons.

my ride outs are now around home and back to the house.

Covid has nothing to do with me riding, if I am on the county roads, and no one is in sight for 2 miles, me worry? nope.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

I still ride, but I will not be able go to rallies, like I am used to doing. They are all cancelled. As the OP mentioned, I have several loops out from my home that I can ride within 2/4/8 hours, and it is still below freezing temps here at night, so the best temperatures to ride last only about four to six hours yet. So far, I have not been curtailed at all, as the rallies which have been cancelled would not have started happening till June anyway. Then we shall see what I might be missing. I ride alone most of the time, so that I can leave when I want, go where I want, stop where/when/if I want and get home when I want. The way I always saw it, even when you ride in groups, if there is no passenger, then one person on one bike is alone anyway.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Post by Pam »

We have done some riding since returning forum Az due to the virus. Our biggest issue is weather. Don't care to leave home knowing your going to get beat up by weather. We have a few little loops we can do close to home but it is a pita not to be able to stop for a coffee and lunch

Viking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by Viking »

Today, May 7 2020, it is snowing. Forecast is for up to 4 inches or so. This will curtail my riding a lot more than Covid 19 is doing.

On another topic, yesterday, I ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon. I will let you know.

Road Ranger
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by Road Ranger »

The virus hasn't slowed us down at all but the weather has it is supposed to get down to freezing tonight and only in the upper 30's tomorrow. When we ride now we stop at restaurants with take out and a lawn and trees and have a picnic lunch like when we were younger. The virus will not make me scared I have lived through worse and I will survive this . ;)

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci »

Definitely no overnights for me right now. That being said, thankful central Florida has lots of country roads and nice temperatures this time of year (will be really hot before long), allowing for plenty of miles to cover and an ocean on each coast. Allows me to relax and "socially distance" myself. I do ride to work a good bit as there's a big parking garage so the motorcycle is protected.

I don't really have any other hobbies so very thankful to be able to ride.

GWrider2016
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio Comfort

Post by GWrider2016 »

Good day all!

So far i've canceled 2 over night trips and pushed another to July in hopes i can still do a scouting run for my club. I also have 2 more longer trips in Aug and Sept...who knows if they will happen.

Locally it hasn't stopped me from riding however, riding in groups and trying to find bathrooms has been challenging to say the least.

realetybytes
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing with '81 1100 engine w/VW carburetor or '84 Gl 1200 InterState

Post by realetybytes »

Not at all. Just less clubs to play in. Ride every day and laugh at the fools in their cars with masks on...
Yeehah!

wezx
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Post by wezx »

I ride whenever humanly (and weatherly) possible COVID or not.

Billthebulldog
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda NightHawk 650 (Sold)
1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade GL1100A (Current)

Post by Billthebulldog »

For me, COVID-19 has impacted my riding in a way I wouldn't expect! I recently (December as a Christmas present to myself) bought a 1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade for 700 bucks after trading in my 1983 Honda NightHawk 650. I was worried about the supposed "Death Wobble" so I sent it to the shop to have it looked over. After a week, the mechanic said it was all good and hadn't detected any wobble. While it was there I decided that it could use an oil change. After another week the mechanic calls and says that the threads inside the transmission cover were stripped. He equated it to the aftermarket dipstick that the other owner had added and the age of the bike. He said that he would try and bore it out and order a larger plug. That didn't end up working as the new plug was too small. It also didn't help that we had to wait a month for the plug it arrives due to the virus. After that we opted to replace the transmission cover. After about a month of not hearing anything the mechanic calls and says he can't find a new cover as no one is making them anymore. So after another week, I found a guy who was parting out several Goldwings and secured a used transmission cover. Called the mechanic up and he ordered all the needed gaskets. Just got word a couple of days ago that the gaskets aren't available as Honda North America gets their parts from Japan and the whole COVID-19 means that no new parts are being shipped. So here we are again waiting for parts to ship. Never would have thought that COVID-19 meant that I would never see my bike again :cry: . Waiting for the day that the parts arrive and I can put this downtime to good use!

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I'm currently visiting my son in Dayton, Ohio.
the apartment he is renting here ( TDY from Georgia ) had some nearby crowds waving protest signs.

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

phandrews
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Goldwing ABS, 2007 BMW R1200S, 2007 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW R1250RT

Post by phandrews »

This has been a major change to our motorcycling life. I keep a GL1800 in Europe and make frequent trips to ride there. We last left in in Zagreb, Croatia last fall. Not only is it unwise to fly to Europe or anywhere else now, but Zagreb experienced an earthquake recently. The bike is currently stored underground and wasn't damaged, but the prospect of seeing the bike anytime soon is grim.

We spent February in Arizona and I bought a new BMW RT there thinking that I would retrieve it by flying later and riding it home to Colorado. It became apparent that was a bad idea (see above) and I had it shipped. One of the reasons I bought the bike was so that I had a new ride to attend the BMW rally in Great Falls this month, which of course is now cancelled. I wanted something comfy for my pillion wife so we could take long excursions. But now all we can do is take day trips. What a bummer.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

The present insanity has not affected my riding much at all.
I'm still racking up the miles every weekend.
In fact, my club has been riding more than ever. I guess with
everyone home and climbing the walls, we've been having rides
almost every weekend instead of the club's normal every other
weekend rides.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '11 bmw 1200gsa,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard »

my limited riding has more to do with my foot than covid-19 but I have put quit a few miles on the Mighty CT 70
Attachments

'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 ST1300a
.... william

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

I've started carrying my mask in the trunk, just in case.
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I stopped at the store to pick up some groceries on my way home from a ride last week. I didn't have a mask or any protective gear (apart from my riding protective gear), so I just left my gear on - helmet, gloves, everything - and walked through the store in it. :)

Viking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by Viking »

UPDATE

I just tipped the 3200 km mark (2000 miles) on the weekend, (still May) so I guess the virus is not holding me up. I am seeing a lot of moose and bears along the roads though, so the lack of traffic is keeping them out in the open which makes riding a crap shoot. Saw two moose and two bears within a hundred miles on Friday. Gotta keep the old eyes peeled all the time. On an up note, I have only had to dodge one car since riding season began.

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider »

My wife and I have a trip to Colorado planned for the end of June / start of July. Right now we keep flip-flopping over if we should go. Concerns about us catching the disease are part of it, but we are more concerned about being exposed to it and then exposing our friends and family to it. We have some friends with some health issues that could make it devastating for them if they get the disease and we try to be conscientious of that. Plus we have a couple new babies in the family that we would like to be able to see.

We also have to wonder if we would be able to do anything if we go. If all we can do at the end of each day is sit in the hotel room and eat take-out food, then there isn't much point in going. Hopefully things will be opening up some more in the next couple of weeks, but we will have to keep an eye on things and making our final decisions pretty soon.

/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

jimm4
Motorcycle: 2003gl1800

Post by jimm4 »

well ride often weather permitting but have put off west coast trip for now . food and lodging away from home and the thought of getting shut down has slowed me down on trips.now we have protest everywhere WHAT NEXT.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

I have zero concern at this point, but if anybody else is concerned I respect their right to be concerned, and to stay in their own home.

https://jbhandleyblog.com/home/lockdown ... QQWxB00Mm0
'03 GL1800A

ciddriver
Motorcycle: 1999 valkyrie interstate

Post by ciddriver »

Ride around locally but put off Alaska trip till next June.

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Post by Pam »

Things starting to return to normal here, restaurant 's open to half capacity so getting food is slowly becoming less of an issue. The issues is weather. The wind has and is blowing 30 mph for about the last ten days. But the Canadian prairies will do that. :cry:

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

What CV-19? OH, that one. Road right though it like it never happened. :mrgreen:
Only difference was had to bring a picnic lunch. Did a road side pic-nic table or out in some short grassy field. One time in a self serve car wash bay to get out of a passing shower otherwise we just packed on the 'miles and smiles'. ;)
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Just for fun I'll get long winded here and give you guys something to read for a while :D :lol:

I'm no stranger to telecommuting, I started working from home back in Sept 2017, this lasted until Mar 2019 when I took a new position in the IT Test Lab where I am evaluating new equipment and software for conformity to company standards. Since that's mostly "hands on" work that can't be done from remote I resumed commuting to the office. But during the previous period telecommuting still went to grocery store frequently, often on the bike. Still got out-and about.

I finally got my car back on the road after getting all smashed up in the 2017 baseball-size hailstorm. Finding body parts and especially a rear glass for a 35 yr old Toyota is near impossible. But it was happy to be back on the road after 2 yrs of sitting. So I was driving it to work pretty much all the time. I-70 is under construction anyway, an unfriendly 10 mile stretch of road for a bike.

Comes COVDI-19 and all IT personnel were ordered to work remote, I packed up all my current projects and brought two car-loads of equipment home. (Deb really likes this! :x ) Since February I've only gone to the office three times to reset something there that wasn't responding remotely or replace a piece of failed equipment. The entire building is a "ghost town" except for the Facilities personnel and a fraction of the call center staff, most the call center agents are remote, too. Last trip to office (last Monday) I took the 1500 thru the I-70 construction zone, not too bad in light traffic.

The word from Corporate management is to expect 12-18 months for things to return to normal, so looks like I'll be doing "Mostly Remote" work for the forseeable future. There's talk that many of us IT folks may wind up working remote permanently.

Since Deb and I are both over 60, now only go to grocery store every couple weeks with a good list, so getting groceries on the bike is out-of-the-question. So I've pretty much got four vehicles (two 'Wings, the car and the Jeep) that are going nowhere. Deb is a health-care worker so drives to work every day, I asked her to take one of my cars once in a while, but both are manual transmission (anti theft device :lol: ) and she's only 5'2", can't quite fully depress the clutch in the Jeep, and doesn't like driving the Camry either, so both just sit.

Since Shelter-in-Place was lifted starting in May, now we try to get out once a week for a "Sunday Drive", Deb doesn't like to go that far on her Virago, it doesn't have a windshield, (I should get her one since she won't) so those drives usually just wind up being a 15 mile "putt" thru city side streets. Or we take the Jeep up to the Mountains. So not much biking.

1500 had been sitting disassembled and naked for a long time as I fiddled with adding accessories and rebuilding the stereo system. Finished that up two weeks ago. I took some pictures, I'll write that up and post elsewhere.

I took the 1500 out to get a haircut on Friday. First haircut since January, I was getting pretty shaggy!

I got out and about Yesterday, My 350,000 mile Toyota has developed a problem with oil pressure when starting, If the car sits more than a few hours it takes forever for the oil pressure to come up but pressure is normal once it does come up. I attribute this to it sitting unused for 2 1/2 yrs after getting smashed in the hailstorm. It still has the same oil from three yrs ago, it was freshly changed right before the hailstorm. I suspect there's a check valve stuck open in the oil pump that's supposed to prevent the oil filter from draining back into the sump when not running, the oil filter sits upside-down in the Camry. So It has to re-fill the oil filter every time when starting.

So I went to Walmart, got three gallons of Shell Rotella T4, a can of seafoam and a quart of cheap ATF. Poured the Seafoam and ATF into the Toyota crankcase, and spent the next two hour driving aimlessly thru city side streets, staying in 2nd gear to keep the Revs up. Stopped by a NAPA store and got NAPA Gold oil filters for both the car and the Jeep. Got almost 40 miles on that Witch's brew in the crankcase. When it reaches 100 miles I'll change it all out for Fresh Rotella and a Napa filter. It will be interesting to see what I drain out of the crankcase, I've been fairly religious about oil changes but the Toyota DOES have 350,000 miles on it.

I guess I should get the 1100 out today. Since I got the 1500 back together the poor 1100 is just sitting on the battery tender.

So that's my story. The Long and Short of it is all the vehicles except Deb's Hyundai are suffering a little thru dis-use. I'm going to try to run each of them and go somewhere even if it's just a drive around the neighborhood at least once a week. As things are opening up there's more places to go and things to do, but we still limit our exposure to public places thru an abundance of caution.

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark