1982 GL1100A Stopped Moving

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
agarza4c
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

1982 GL1100A Stopped Moving

Post by agarza4c »

Alright Guys & Gals, ran into a mystery and I'm curious if anyone here has any ideas for me.

I recently purchased a 1982 GL1100A that had been sitting for 10+ years. Needless to say I replaced and restored alot of important components to get it to start and run properly. (Carburetor Rebuilt, Water Pump replaced, brakes flushed, antifreeze replaced, final drive oil replaced). In the process of changing the oil I noticed my oil filter spring and washer were missing, so I ordered new ones from my local Honda dealer. Due to extreme excitement I decided I couldn't wait to put my work to the test so I decided to re assemble the bike without an oil filter (since I was still missing the Oil Filter Spring) and take it for a spin around my neighborhood. I thought it wouldn't be so bad to run the bike without an oil filter for a few minutes since I put brand new engine oil (Cheap Orielly Brand 10w40). My goal was to put Honda Motorcycle 10W40 with new oil filter after I received the oil filter spring.
Anyways, after driving bike around for a couple minutes it suddenly stopped receiving power to rear wheel. The engine was still revving hard but bike kept going slower and slower. Finally it stopped moving. I also noticed a bad smell coming from engine (Weird Burnt Plastic Smell). My initial impression was that the clutch must've gone bad, but now that I have bike in garage and on its center stand I noticed that when put in gear the rear wheel doesn't even move at all. In my experience with bad clutches it typically can still move the rear wheel with no weight on it. Could I have ruined the clutch that fast? Could it have something to do with lack of oil filter or cheap oil? (Still waiting on that dang oil filter spring from dealer) ,so haven't tried putting new oil yet.

I noticed that when I turn on bike and its still cold it lets me shift through all the gears very easily. But once it warms up it sort of gets stuck in some random gear.

Just posting this if anyone has any ideas for me. As of now I'm thinking I'm just going to replace clutch and hope for best.

Earl43P
Motorcycle: 04 ST1300 DD
99 Valkyrie IS
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
82 GL1100 SOLD 3/3/17

Re: 1982 GL1100A Stopped Moving

Post by Earl43P »

Tell us more about the oil you used, particularly describe what is in the bottom half of the arc in this symbol (click the link below - it's safe).

https://www.api.org/news-policy-and-iss ... tion-donut

Using the wrong oil could have burnt up your (wet) clutch. (or at least what was left of a potentially 38 year old clutch)
Many of us use diesel-rated oil that don't have low friction additives. (Rotella T-6 10W30 in my case).
Motorcycle-specific oils will also have nothing in the bottom arc of that symbol.

Did I really just respond to an OIL THREAD in a motorcycle forum?
When all else fails, RTFM!

04 ST1300 Bought 3/4/17, Daily Driver sort of
99 Valkyrie Interstate, “Favorite”
82 GL1100 Sold 3/3/17 (miss that ticket getter)
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20

agarza4c
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by agarza4c »

Happy to Announce, the issue was solved. Turns out it was a combination of two things that were stopping the bike. First, my rear brake got stuck which was not allowing the rear wheel to move to its full potential. I guess I need to rebuild the brake calipers. Second, the clutch cable needed to be adjusted. Somehow it was adjusted so that it was so tense it was always pulling/engaging the clutch. So no matter how much throttle I gave the bike the clutch was always engaged and not letting power to the wheel. After adjusting clutch cable the bike is running fine now. I will probably still need a clutch soon. As Earl43P mentioned it is still very likely the original clutch on bike. As it stand the mileage sits at 24,000 miles. This could be 124,000 miles, not sure.

Lucky07
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade, 1984 CB550SC

Post by Lucky07 »

My 83 had only been sitting for two years or so when I bought it. Noticed a burnt shock boot on the left side (this was before I ever put it on the road, I took the winter to rebuild/refresh many things), looked like the brakes heated up and melted the boot. Brakes were working fine though, rotor wasn't warped. I decided to open up the rear caliper anyways just for fun and it was absolutely disgusting in there (although it did have relatively new piston seals). After I saw that I decided to pull the front two apart and clean/rebuild them as well. Glad I did, they looked like crap too. Rebuilt the front master while I was at it (rear was done at some point as the old master piston was in the trunk along with some old clutch plates etc.). Flushed all the brake fluid really well and put everything back together. It was moderately expensive for the seals but it was worth it, I have much more confidence in my braking system now.

My advice, if you're going to do the rear you might as well tear them all apart and clean the whole system. Having the bike GO is one thing, having it STOP when you need to is much more important.