What seat do I have?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
WingNoob
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE
2007 KLR650

What seat do I have?

Post by WingNoob »

So, my seat has air bladders in it. There are 2 valves on the left hand side, one for the driver's and one for the passenger's seat. The way it works is that you push a little button in the center of the valve while seated to release air. If you push the valve button while lifting you butt off of the seat, it re-inflates.

The problem is that the driver's seat valve is broken so it deflates completely when I sit on it (and yes, it is the valve rather than a busted air bladder). At this point I'm thinking of just replacing the valve with some assorted bits and pieces that I have around the shop, but I'd love to know who made this seat and if replacement parts are available.

I've seen a listing in the classified section of this site that sounds like the same thing I have, but it doesn't identify the seat aside from calling it an Air Rider, which doesn't bring up anything useful on Google.

Seems that a bunch of people have these inserts, but I can't seem to find anyone who still sells them or parts for them.

Anyone have any ideas?

CWN
Motorcycle: 43 years winging it

Re: What seat do I have?

Post by CWN »

Sounds like you have an AirRider seat
viewtopic.php?t=37503

Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1983 GW Interstate (just got)
A pack of Super Cubs
BMW R1200RTP

Post by Solo So Long »

What you have is a reminder to stay on your diet! ;)

Seriously, sounds like an Air Rider. Check the hose connections for leaks, but you may have historied the bladder itself.

WingNoob
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE
2007 KLR650

Post by WingNoob »

Yeah, pretty sure it's an AirRider insert. Problem is, the company doesn't seem to exist, or at least they don't have a web presence that I can see.

I'm going to be looking at the seat valve this weekend to see if I can fix it. I might be able to swap the passenger and driver's valves since I don't carry a passenger.

Thanks to you both for the replies.

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

How about pictures??? You have a rare accessory seat.
I threw away a Road sofa seat a week ago that was weather destroyed(cover and foam gone from sun damage, the valve also leaked). I saved the rider backrest as the cover was good and the valve still works. It is in my storage unit and I can't get in until tomorrow as today it's closed for the holiday here. I didn't get pictures of the valve side of the seat.
I was going to save the backrest to modify or change the bracket to put on my Ultimate seat, but could let the backrest go for $40 plus shipping if it will help you out. Are you sure it is the valve and not the bladder leaking?
Attachments