Rebuilding a GL1000. I have some issues here.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
zosxavius
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Rebuilding a GL1000. I have some issues here.

Post by zosxavius » Thu May 14, 2020 10:43 am

I bought a 77 GL1000 with about 15k on the odometer. It sat for a long, long time and it looks like the guy that sold it to me put fresh fluids in and tried to get it running before giving up.

So I bought it knowing the spragg clutch is frozen and that it had sat for a couple years with gas in it. It was $600 so I figured in a worst case scenario I would just part it. The engine turned so I took it without even digging too deeply.

I haul it back to a garage I can use to work on bikes and start getting into it. Well no power for starters, so I replaced the main fuse holder which was melted shockingly and that brought power back to the bike. Starter turns. Clutch doesn't engage. Just as I knew. But I have a kick start. So I can possibly just get it running and see what it needs before I pull the engine out. I was thinking I could get some MMO to flow through the crankcase if I get it running and maybe that would free up my starter clutch and extremely sticky shifter. If not I have to pull the engine to address those things as well as the stator.

So first thing is a timing belt. I drained the gas and it was certainly bad so I can only imagine how gummed up the carbs are. I kind of figured on a carb rebuild anyways, so no big deal. I notice all the rubber hoses are pretty much shot and need replaced. Also fully expected.

Then I go to remove the radiator and I notice oil in my coolant system. Ugh. Really one of the last things I wanted to see. So I take a breather and drain the oil next and it's like golden honey. No water at all. Well, that's reassuring. I took off the timing belt covers and it looks like it possibly still has the original belt on it. It's a Honda belt. That needs to go.

So I'm at a serious crossroads here. Either I'm leaking oil through the head gaskets and if that's the case I need to just stop and replace them while I'm at a good point to do that. Or I'm leaking from the water pump and I replace those gaskets and seals and roll the dice here. I don't like either option. Replacing the water pump seals is probably a good idea regardless. They had green coolant in it which I now know can eat seals.

I could replace the seals and get the engine running again and see if the problem continues, but then if that is true I'd have to take it all back apart to do the head gaskets. I really wanted to do a compression test but without a starter clutch that is working I doubt I'd be able to. This is a pretty good catch-22 to me. I really don't know much about these bikes but I'm finding that working on it is fairly straightforward. I've learned a whole lot in the past few weeks. I just don't know what the best step to proceed is. I don't want to pull and engine out to do the starter just to find it has horrible compression. Nor do I want to just start blindly throwing money at this because in all honesty I'm probably just going to pay the $400 to have my carbs made perfect. They are so critical on a goldwing.

Anyone have any ideas on what my next step should really be? I asked the goldwing guys on FB and of course got about a dozen different answers. I figured the nice people here might have some different insight.

And thanks in advance for any responses.

Earl43P
Motorcycle: 04 ST1300 DD
99 Valkyrie IS
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
82 GL1100 SOLD 3/3/17

Re: Rebuilding a GL1000. I have some issues here.

Post by Earl43P » Thu May 14, 2020 12:40 pm

With a project like you describe, I would zero-time as much as I could afford.
Replace timing belts
---Consider installing new or modified belt tensioners
Remove heads, lap the valves, replace the valve guide rubber seals, install new head gaskets
New Water Pump, new thermostat, test the radiator fan and its Temp Sensor; there's nothing wrong with green coolant.
Rebuild calipers (new seals)
Rebuild brake Master Cylinders
New front/rear wheel bearings, tires
New Ujoint, Ujoint rubber cover, driveshaft oil seal, Moly paste all of the drive-line, new O-rings
Disconnect, clean, dielectric grease all connectors, lamps/holders.
Replace Steering Head bearings, Swing Arm bearings.
Replace (OEM) fork seals, new shock oil.
Remove, clean fuel tank, petcock.
Do send those carbs to a pro for rebuild.

I'd agree that pulling the engine and replacing the Clutch and freeing up the starter sprag clutch is worth doing.

Welcome to the addiction.

FWIW, you must LOVE wrenching to start a project like you describe.
If not, you'd be money ahead just finding a decent "rider" bike and get in the wind.
Chalk this project bike up as bad investment and part it out.
Otherwise, I predict you'll spend >$2000 getting this project up and reliably running.
When all else fails, RTFM!

04 ST1300 Bought 3/4/17, Daily Driver sort of
99 Valkyrie Interstate, “Favorite”
82 GL1100 Sold 3/3/17 (miss that ticket getter)
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20

zosxavius

Post by zosxavius » Thu May 14, 2020 2:14 pm

Haha I don't mind working on motorcycles but this project suddenly became much bigger than I thought. Isn't that how it always goes when buying a non running bike? $2000 feels a bit on the high end though. I know I'm looking at a few hundred in just gaskets alone at this point, plus whatever bearings I'm going to need. Yeah I figured on rebuilding the brakes. I'm doing the front on my Suzuki right now. I just wish I had a better idea what shape the engine is in. Looks like all bets may be off. At least someone put the timing belt on correctly because the they marked the outside of the pulleys so I can tell it's been changed at some point on closer inspection. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and pull the engine out and replace whatever gaskets and seals I can.

I took this one on as a learning project and holy crap am I getting schooled here. 🤣

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong » Thu May 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Timing belts, yes. Replace asap. Don't let the previous post put you off. Everything in the above post, work through one item at a time. Don't just start shot gun replacing without inspecting and testing. Example: The sprague clutch can probably be repaired when you get the engine running and are able to put Seafoam in the oil and run her awhile to loosen the gunk in the engine. That is the usual reason for the clutch not engaging. Keep us informed of your progress. Look here for detailed instructions for bringing your bike back to life.https://www.randakksblog.com/starting-a ... ng-lay-up/

We like pictures.

zosxavius

Post by zosxavius » Fri May 15, 2020 12:05 pm

Thanks. It's too nice to part out. I can't do it. This girl deserves a second life. You know, I think I'm going to order the engine gasket kit and just start on the heads and water pump and run it and see what happens. I can kickstart it for now. I can always replace gaskets if needed as I go and I'll have a set on hand. I'm definitely going to have to pull the brake system off and rebuild. Calipers are seized. Carbs are going to need a rebuild too. But one step at a time here. I have a suzuki gs1100 I'm trying to rebuild too at the same time and I think it needs less parts at the moment. I don't care much about how it looks either and it looks pretty sad at the moment hahaha.

And no, I'm not going to let someone tell me it's not worth fixing. It's a 43 year old motorcycle. Of course it needs everything refreshed. I didn't think this one was going to be the easiest of projects going into it. I know I'm going to learn though!🙂

I already have learned a ton in the past few months. I can do this. I'm halfway there anyways.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:35 am

Fill radiator with water and attach a pressure tester. With spark plugs and oil drain plug out pressurize cooling system and check for leaks, specifically in the cylinders. Next best thing to a compression test is to air up each cylinder after loosening rockers. With valves closed for a cylinder apply shop air to each looking for bubbling of water in radiator and leakage past valves into the exhaust and intake and also past rings into crankcase.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon May 18, 2020 1:27 pm

zosxavius wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:43 am
I haul it back to a garage I can use to work on bikes and start getting into it. Well no power for starters, so I replaced the main fuse holder which was melted shockingly and that brought power back to the bike. Starter turns. Clutch doesn't engage. Just as I knew. But I have a kick start. So I can possibly just get it running and see what it needs before I pull the engine out. I was thinking I could get some MMO to flow through the crankcase if I get it running and maybe that would free up my starter clutch and extremely sticky shifter. If not I have to pull the engine to address those things as well as the stator.
If the kickstarter cranks the engine, but the electric starter does not, then the problem is not your sprag clutch, because the kickstarter connects into the sprag clutch itself as well (otherwise it would spin like crazy when the engine started!).

If this is the case, then it's likely the helical gears in the starter that have been shredded.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong » Mon May 18, 2020 3:56 pm

Good catch Scott. Missed that about the kick start completely. However he didn't say that he had tried to kick start yet.

77RedandWhite
1980 CB650

Post by 77RedandWhite » Sun May 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Having done this project, let me agree with the above statement that you have to love it. I'm 5 or 6 years in and I'm on my final issues. I've put maybe 1.5k on it in the time.

In regards to the carbs, you can either send them out ($400 or so) or just order the master rebuild kit from Randakk ($150). I wish I had. I spent so much time f-ing around with them I wish I had spent the money and done it right the first time. They arent hard to rebuild, and Randakk includes a full video walkthrough on it.
Get his fuel filter too while your at it.

Kickstarting is a pain. If it works for you, go for it. But otherwise get the starter fixed asap.

Personally I would hold off on throwing money at it until it works. If the belts have been replaced at some point, let it sit a few points lower on the list. Dont bother doing valves and digging in that deep. It will run without doing all that right away. But for sure watch your spending- we are in around $1500 for rebuilding the entire bike.

Good luck and welcome to the club :)

Naked 77 Wing
80 CB 650, built from boxes of parts
Motorcycles. Snowboarding. Paintball. 3D printing. Cosplay. Warhammer 40k. Tabletop Gaming.