Low Fuel Light Not Lighting - Bulb OK

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
zeoran
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500A, 2002 Honda ST1100, 1982 Honda Interstate (sold)

Low Fuel Light Not Lighting - Bulb OK

Post by zeoran »

I've read the posts that go into details about checking the sensor, floats, etc., even swapping out the thermistor. But before I go digging that deep, I was wondering (and hoping) that was a simpler possible solution as to why the light didn't come on recently as it should have when I was out of gas. It's come on once before when I was low, so it has worked since I bought the bike but on Tuesday, I knew I was low and was trying to make it to the gas station. I hadn't seen the light come on, so I thought I was OK, but she ran out literally 50' from the offramp where the gas station is.

The light still comes on when I start the bike, so I know the bulb itself is good. Is there a simple problem I can check or will this require tearing things apart, getting out the service manual and my dvm?

God bless,

~Mark

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 honda goldwing aspencade GL1500

Re: Low Fuel Light Not Lighting - Bulb OK

Post by 4given »

There are a number of threads which address this issue on this forum. Basically if you remove the seat and unhook the feed wire to the low fuel sensor or thermistor and run it to ground, the light should come on. If it doesn’t it is an indication that the thermistor is faulty.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

Here is the related page in the service manual.
Note that it takes approximately 3 minutes after 1 gallon left.
Attachments

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort

Post by MikeB »

zeoran wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:39 pm
I've read the posts that go into details about checking the sensor, floats, etc., even swapping out the thermistor. But before I go digging that deep, I was wondering (and hoping) that was a simpler possible solution as to why the light didn't come on recently as it should have when I was out of gas. It's come on once before when I was low, so it has worked since I bought the bike but on Tuesday, I knew I was low and was trying to make it to the gas station. I hadn't seen the light come on, so I thought I was OK, but she ran out literally 50' from the offramp where the gas station is.

The light still comes on when I start the bike, so I know the bulb itself is good. Is there a simple problem I can check or will this require tearing things apart, getting out the service manual and my dvm?

God bless,

~Mark
You didn't say so I am a bit curious, did you fill the tank and how much fuel did it take?
As you probably already know, the tank has a 6.3 gallon capacity.
Did it start and run normally after getting fuel?
If you didn't fill the tank, how much fuel did you add? The fuel gauge on my '98 will indicate 1/2 full when there is about 3.5 gallons in the tank.
You should get about 180 miles on a full tank of fuel before the low fuel light comes on.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

wezx
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Post by wezx »

Mine also doesn’t light when I feel like it should...but I’ve never ran out of gas either LOL Bulb is good. I carry a spare small emergency fuel container in my saddle bag so I just haven’t cared enough to dig into it, but thanks for that info on checking it! Next time I have the seat off I’ll do some testing...

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

wezx wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:19 pm
Mine also doesn’t light when I feel like it should...but I’ve never ran out of gas either LOL Bulb is good. I carry a spare small emergency fuel container in my saddle bag so I just haven’t cared enough to dig into it, but thanks for that info on checking it! Next time I have the seat off I’ll do some testing...
If you do dig into it, be sure you have less than a half tank of fuel. Otherwise, you will have a bit of fuel spill on your hands when you start to remove the pump assembly.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

wezx
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Post by wezx »

MikeB wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:51 pm
wezx wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:19 pm
If you do dig into it, be sure you have less than a half tank of fuel. Otherwise, you will have a bit of fuel spill on your hands when you start to remove the pump assembly.
Cool...thanks for the tip!

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

So, what happened to the original poster? Did he get his problem sorted out? I'd love to know what the outcome was.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA