Expensive spring riding

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
jdavidsmit
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Goldwing
first "bike" 1963 mini bike with 3.5HP B&S motor.
2nd 1966 Honda 50
3rd 1967 Honda 90
4th 1970 125
5th 1987 GL1100

Expensive spring riding

Post by jdavidsmit »

This has started out to be an expensive year for my old wing. Just before Tennessee went on stay at home, I was at our local Lowe’s and someone hit my bike in the parking lot while I was in the store. I came out and it’s laying on its left side. No one saw anything and the cameras did not get a license plate number. So I had it towed home. Over $500.00 dollars for new and used plastic. this is after I had done the spring tune up and brakes replacements.
Thank goodness for mail order delivery.

All is good so last Sunday out I went again, about 200 or so miles beautiful day good ride. Got home and discovered I had lost both of the front fender sides and the molding piece in front of the left clearance light. :(
And today I discovered I have a missing retainer on the right side cover. (Bottom front one)

Sorry to rant on but needed to get it out.

And my question is since the pin, retainer, what ever it’s called is missing has any one just tapped into the frame and replace it with a screw?

David

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: Expensive spring riding

Post by C-dub »

That really burns me and I'm so sorry!

This is one of my biggest fears whenever I'm inside a store or something. I always avoid parking deep in a parking spot especially when I have to park between two cages. I want to avoid someone thinking it is an empty spot and zipping right on in before realizing it is not empty.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

If you had added a picture of the missing part/place it would be easier to find a solution.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

It took quite a while but, I just found a pair of fender side covers for a good price on ebay. They are even the right color. The left one was missing when I bought it six years ago but that didn't keep me from enjoying the ride. Just keep watching ebay and you will eventually find them.

The pin on the side cover is replaceable. I think you can find them on partzilla.com or cyclemax.com. Then all you have to do is get a measurement (from the other side cover), cut to length and glue it on with ABS plastic cement and reinforce around it with some ABS cement slurry made with ABS cement and ABS plastic shavings. Mine (same one) broke off but, I found it still in the grommet. I glued it back in place and built up some ABS slurry around it and it is still working well. I am always sure to put a little petroleum jelly on it when I put it back on so maybe I won't break it again.
Russell

If I don't do Facebook or Twitter do I still have to do Social Media Distancing????
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

that is why I ride up on the sidewalk at the Walmarts, and park against the wall.

if not that, I part in between the yellow stanchion posts.
I will NOT leave it in the regular parking spaces.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

Sorry to hear about your bike. Thats pretty much my luck too, nearly every vehicle I've owned has been hit and run or vandalized. :roll:
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

jdavidsmit
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Goldwing
first "bike" 1963 mini bike with 3.5HP B&S motor.
2nd 1966 Honda 50
3rd 1967 Honda 90
4th 1970 125
5th 1987 GL1100

Post by jdavidsmit »

:D I did not know replacement pins were available, so I guess this is an known issue, they are on order from Cyclemax.

Any idea what length they should be when installed, same as the ones on the front?

As you could tell from my first post I was, am angry, and my deductible for the insurance was all most as much as the parts. Have any of you tried to find either new or used a left side air deflector, right sides are available but the left side are few and far between. I found a set but, I had to made and glue on the little tab on the front edge

I do thank you for the information on the replacement pins.

I should be back on the road in a week or so. I’m thinking that this coming winter will be time for a full paint job
David

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Just remove the left side cover and measure the same pin on the other cover for proper length.
Russell

If I don't do facebook or Twitter do I still have to do Social Media Distancing????

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.