'99 GL1500 chirps like a bird at idle after warmup

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
SteveA_GL1500
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE AC

'99 GL1500 chirps like a bird at idle after warmup

Post by SteveA_GL1500 »

For the past couple of months my '99 GL1500SE (CA ver.) with 145K total miles, has begun to make a low bird-like 'chirping' sound at idle. This starts after the engine warms up to operating temp. The 'chirping' sound is about 2-3 per second and seems to stop above idle; however it's hard to tell with the increased engine noise. My suspicion is that it has something to do with the engine vacuum circuits.

I moved from San Jose, CA to Scottsdale, AZ five months ago. The Goldwing made the 750 mile trip back in December comfortably tied down in the back of a U-Haul truck. My Camry sedan was on a tow dolly attached to the U-Haul.

This bike has always run very well in hot (90+) weather, getting the best mileage (38-45 mpg) when it's hot. With daytime temps in Scottsdale now around 100 degrees everyday, my Goldwing warms up quickly and runs very well, except for the annoying 'chirping' sounds at idle.

I would appreciate any suggestions you fellow Goldwing owners might have as to what may be going on with my 'chirping' 'Wing
GL1500 on Hwy 25^2011-04-14^crop.JPG

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: '99 GL1500 chirps like a bird at idle after warmup

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

I had a similar problem when I bought the bike. It was starting after warm up.
Here is the video record of the sound, and the link for details.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/g ... st-4814049
Also, I added a picture drawing of the pulley bent causing the noise.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
Attachments

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

Your idle speed may have changed slightly with the new climate and fuel blend, try some readjusting to eliminate sound. With the mileage on your ride it would not be a bad idea to check the vacuum hose under the carbs which goes to the ECM. One of the main inputs to the ECM is manifold vacuum along with water and air temps which signals various solenoids when to activate. Left/right pocket areas and left inner fairing are areas where solenoids can be found. Remove fuel cap when sound is present to eliminate as they will sometimes make noises. With engine cold remove radiator cap (not reserve tank cap) to confirm full of coolant and then check reserve tank level.
Ideal solution would be to remove plastic so the sound can be pin-pointed to a device/component. :)
Last edited by ct1500 on Sun May 17, 2020 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

fnickel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Post by fnickel »

My guess is that it could be the idler pulley (belt tension pulley) that the cam timing belt runs on. Have you replaced the timing belts recently, and did you replace the idler pulley as well? I did my belts about 7 years ago, and did not replace the pulley. I have not had any noise yet, but now am regretting not replacing the pulley at the same time. It will probably need that long before my belts need replacing again.

SteveA_GL1500
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE AC

Post by SteveA_GL1500 »

Thanks guys for your much appreciated responses.

Erdeniz - Thanks for the video/audio clip. That is very close to the sound I'm hearing. However, I can't imagine how the crank pulley cover could have become bent 40K miles after I replaced the two belts and both tensioner pulley bearings. I will definitely have to look into this.

ct1500 - I will also look into you suggestions and overcome my reluctance to start taking off plastic. Living now in an apartment, I no longer have a garage to work on my 'Wing and summer is here in AZ with normal high / lows of 100+ / 80.

fnickel - As I mentioned in my initial post, belts & tensioner bearing pulleys were replaced at 100K. As I recall those tensioner bearings were expensive. I'll pull the black plastic front cover off and take a look.

Thanks again guys for your replies.

Steve A

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

fnickel wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:32 am
My guess is that it could be the idler pulley (belt tension pulley) that the cam timing belt runs on. Have you replaced the timing belts recently, and did you replace the idler pulley as well? I did my belts about 7 years ago, and did not replace the pulley. I have not had any noise yet, but now am regretting not replacing the pulley at the same time. It will probably need that long before my belts need replacing again.
Why do you say that?
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Others have said it, but I too would be looking strongly at those tensioners.

Take the timing cover off and see if you can coordinate the chirping noise with the position of a cam sprocket, crank sprocket, or tensioner pulley. If you still have an old timing light, it might help with this as well.

David Doyle
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Post by David Doyle »

I had the same sound. It was the water pump. It was not leaking and it did work but it made that chirping sound.

GoldWinkle :lol:
President of TELGO Golf Club