94 GL 1500 SE with CSC Trike, drive shaft removal

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
waynedudes
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 with CSC Trike conversion

94 GL 1500 SE with CSC Trike, drive shaft removal

Post by waynedudes »

Wanted to do a little drive shaft maintenance. Does anyone have any knowledge about a 94 GL 1500 SE with CSC conversion. How or what to do to remove the drive shaft. Looking at the drive shaft, rear section first. The rear u-joint is much like any rear wheel drive, car or truck. The u-joint has 4 horseshoe bolts, holding the u-joint to the shaft. It also has allen head screws, holding the u-joint to the drive shaft itself. Thanks in advance.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: 94 GL 1500 SE with CSC Trike, drive shaft removal

Post by CrystalPistol »

Once you remove the 4 nuts on the 2 U-bolt straps, you'll have to push the rear U-joint forward towards the engine to let bearing caps clear the saddles. The front of the drive shaft still has the OEM spring, retainer on it to push the front OEM Honda U-joint all the way up onto the output shaft.

On my Lehman, due to how the swing arm is built, I can drop the rear of the drive shaft with U-joint on it straight down and withdraw it bringing the OEM Honda front U-joint with it. It is phased too. I do not have a picture of your CSC drive shaft or swing arm, but the CSC install manual has the installer put the drive shaft in place before attaching the rear axle housing, so I am not sure you'll be able to remove it for service without moving the rear axle back away from the swing arm a little (total 8 bolts)? I do know I can do it on my Lehman as stated.

Below is a picture of a pair of Lehman drive shafts, both in proper phase, you want to reinstall your's in proper phase too. The big long zip tie holds the front U-joint down on the shaft against the spring, leave it on until the shaft is up in place, then cut it and the spring will push that front U-joint forwards fully. You can use strong cord in place of zip tie.

Lube splines. Phaze is like this … engine/trans out -->----D-S----<-- rear axle
Also note that the front OEM Honda U-joint has a long and a short yoke, short goes to shaft, long goes to engine/trans output shaft.

Last edited by CrystalPistol on Wed May 20, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

waynedudes

Post by waynedudes »

My drive shaft looks very much like the one for a GL 1500 that you have in the picture. I did not know about the OEM spring near the middle of shaft. As I can not see it. So I now believe I can remove the four nuts, attached to the horseshoe bolts. Push the u-joint forward to separate the rear u-joint from the differential. Remove the eight bolts holding rear end to swing arm/sub frame or whatever it is called. While supporting the rear end on boards. Then slide the rear end back, just enough to get the drive shaft out. Or else I may have to slide rear end to the right. Just enough to let the drive shaft pass by the differential to remove the drive shaft. I saw a video of someone removing shaft on a different trike and that is what they did. I will also have to check my rear brake lines. Just to see if I might possibly have to separate them from rear end. To avoid breaking the line.
Thanks for the assistance!!!

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Picture above, both shafts are Lehman drive shafts, they just switched from welded units made up using customer supplied OEM shafts welded to new yokes … to the splined versions during production. Mine was converted in '98 & had the welded shaft. I came across an unused, newer splined set with a bunch of stuff a former dealer/installer was getting rid of, I put it in the trike and the welded one is now my spare with new rear Moog 430 U-joint. The "Valkyrie" U-joint superceded the GL-1500, I know it looks stronger but the "cross" is exactly same dimensionally so I wonder? More meat in the yoke though. I even found two GL-1800 U-joints, new in the box, but one was converted by Lehman to fit the GL-1500 drive shaft, it uses the heavier "Valkyrie" looking yoke too … and the "cross" is the same too, so the cross must be stout enough.

:lol: I've seen guys do burnouts with them :shock: , but not this fella! ;) "WingAbuse"! :(

Yeah, reading the CSC manual, the part of them putting the shaft in place before bolting the axle in … I think you are right. I think the CSC swing arm has a tube enclosing more of the shaft thus limiting angle. Shouldn't take complete removal, just a shifting of the axle housing I think, as you said.

Mine has a short tube covering the front U-joint and a few inches of shaft, open at rear, easy to remove or see the whole deal.

Take Care …. :)
Last edited by CrystalPistol on Wed May 20, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

waynedudes

Post by waynedudes »

Thanks CrystalPistol!
Yes the CSC conversion has most of the drive shaft in a tube. Still does not appear to be a difficult job. Since I currently do not see any problem with drive shaft, this will be a next Winter's projects.

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

OH, I agree. Trike up on stands …… wheels on floor or long level blocking should let one roll the axle back a little, or maybe wheels off and a single rolling UTV jack or transmission jack to support the axle, or even two more stands or wooden support skid deal that one can "scoot" a little once the axle weight rest on them?

… & Have a Safe Trip!