pushing in turn signal button gives you temp readings

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
sunshineman6869
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800 Roadsmith Trike

pushing in turn signal button gives you temp readings

Post by sunshineman6869 »

I have had this on my bike for some years now, and I remember seeing how to set it up in the past, but can't remember where I might have saved it. So now I am not able to make the temp reading come up, some work done on the bike probably stopped the temp from showing up. Anyway a combination of a few things, makes the turn signal switch which you usually push side to side, do something else if you push turn signal in, and when you do that you get a temp reading. I know this might sound crazy, but there has to be others out there who have done this also. So could someone who know what I am talking about, please send me the way to re-install my temp readings
Mike

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: pushing in turn signal button gives you temp readings

Post by Rambozo »

Like what you get when you push the INFO button?
Do you have NAVI or not?

sunshineman6869
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800 Roadsmith Trike

Post by sunshineman6869 »

Yes, this is a 2006 GL1800 7A Goldwing

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

sunshineman68 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:39 pm
I have had this on my bike for some years now, and I remember seeing how to set it up in the past, but can't remember where I might have saved it. So now I am not able to make the temp reading come up, some work done on the bike probably stopped the temp from showing up. Anyway a combination of a few things, makes the turn signal switch which you usually push side to side, do something else if you push turn signal in, and when you do that you get a temp reading. I know this might sound crazy, but there has to be others out there who have done this also. So could someone who know what I am talking about, please send me the way to re-install my temp readings
Mike
DaveO430 did this on his bike.

when you Press the Cancel Turn Button, it makes a ground that does the same thing as the Push Button on the dash.

Make a jumper wire between the white/green wire going to the turn signal cancel unit and the red/yellow wire going to the display function switches.

the junction blocks are under the seat, near the cross bar frame.
Dave tried to make mine work, but the day was hot inside his tin shed, and we quit when the glass thermometer hit 101* and 90% humidity....

we are going to fix it on the next PM....
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

AZgl1800 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:06 pm
sunshineman68 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:39 pm
Mike
DaveO430 did this on his bike.

when you Press the Cancel Turn Button, it makes a ground that does the same thing as the Push Button on the dash.

Make a jumper wire between the white/green wire going to the turn signal cancel unit and the red/yellow wire going to the display function switches.

the junction blocks are under the seat, near the cross bar frame.
Dave tried to make mine work, but the day was hot inside his tin shed, and we quit when the glass thermometer hit 101* and 90% humidity....

we are going to fix it on the next PM....
It’s the light green/white wire on the cancel unit, the white/green wire has power on it.

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I'll double check that and modify my notes.
I don't have a schematic in front of me right now,
but the wire from the dash "will show power" before it is grounded to activate the Temp reading....

as to the color of the proper wire, will have to go back and research that. been 3 years since we did that.
~John
What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

AZgl1800 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:21 pm
I'll double check that and modify my notes.
I don't have a schematic in front of me right now,
but the wire from the dash "will show power" before it is grounded to activate the Temp reading....

as to the color of the proper wire, will have to go back and research that. been 3 years since we did that.
Yea, it’s been a while since I saw this mod and looked it up in the schematics due to some wire confusion on another bike a couple days ago on another board.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort

Post by MikeB »

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

MikeB wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:37 am
Here it is:
http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/tempdisplay.htm
When you click on the file name with the *.HTM suffix, it will open up in your Web Browser and look exactly like it did before.

This picture is inside a folder that I called:

c:\Data\GL1800\Temperature Display Mod

or, if you are using Linux, I saved it in Documents/bike/GL1800/Temp Mod

whatever, just don't loose it.

~John
What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

MikeB wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:37 am
Here it is:
http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/tempdisplay.htm
Thanks! Keep in mind, these specific instructions are for the 01-05 models. The later years have the same wire at the cancel unit connector, but the other wire is changed to the red/yellow wire for the 06 and later models.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort

Post by MikeB »

A bit of a disclaimer here, I never made this modification on my '03 and won't do it on my '17 for a couple of reason.
1. I have an additional air temp gauge installed that I use.

2. I have heard that modifications to a wiring harness can be grounds for a warranty being voided.
I have no personal verification of that happening but since reading about it, I have done only plug and play type electrical installations.
If the mods I needed to do did not have plug and play type setups, I have made my own with the necessary connectors.
The thin wiring on the GL1800 does not play well with hap-hazard electrical mods such as Scotch-Lock types if of splices.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA