Fork Rebuild - Can get end bolts off

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Wingnut_93
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A
2008 Triumph Bonniville

Fork Rebuild - Can get end bolts off

Post by Wingnut_93 »

First post, been loving the information on this site as I'm working to resurrect my first Wing. I am trying to do a fork rebuild, which I have done before with not issue. However, I can't get the allen head bolt on the bottom of the forks to break free, at this point the heads may be stripped out. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Fork Rebuild - Can get end bolts off

Post by Rambozo »

Apply some heat. If stripped, there are extractors made for that. (Mac and Matco have them) or weld a nut to the head. (bonus that will apply heat as well)
Sometime you can just break them free with a small chisel striking them at an angle.

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/prod ... ACTOR-SET/

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

What I have done is use a rod through the other leg and just part way into the one I'm breaking free, used a well fitting quality hex end socket in my 3/8 drive air wrench, and hit it.

If the hex in the bolt is screwed up, not good. I don't know if there is room in there to weld a hollowed bolt to the buggered hex or not, been awhile since I looked in one, but the welded extension would do two things, give you something to grab and supply mucho heat to the bolt, but of course you'll need new bolts at re-assembly. Maybe welding a long hex bit into the bolt's head and let it cool, then try? To do either will require removal of the fork tube with slider to enable you to turn it "bottoms up" to do it?

At worst, you'll be looking on E-bay for good fork sliders if you end up cutting or grinding them loose, lots of 1500s get parted out because they are starting to bring better $$$ that way? If I cut them off, I'd cut the lower legs at the point where just the head of that bolt is removed so I'd have a stub left to grab / turn and to save my tubes & guts. Then just buy another set of lower sliders & the bolts.

Maybe someone else has a better idea?? I know the heads are in a recess above the axle.

I did recently find two near new, near 6mm thick front rotors from a none wrecked / parted out '97 GL-1500 with 13,000 miles on them, $76 … so they ain't all wrecks, besides it's the tubes get bent, not normally sliders.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Post by thebruce »

I played this game last year. I wound up drilling the heads off the (stripped) allens. The whole bolt head started turning when I had drilled far enough. The copper sealing washer is a bit of a safety buffer, but not much. Use caution.

Not to take anything away from others' suggestions, but it worked for me in fairly short order, and I didn't wreck the lowers.

The threads themselves weren't corroded tight at all, it was the shoulder of the allen bolt frozen to the copper sealing washer which was in turn frozen to the fork leg.

After I got the top off the bolt, I unscrewed the threaded portion with ease. If there is no oil or a bunch of water in the fork tubes this may turn into a fiasco. Fair warning...

You will be needing new bolts. And sealing washers.
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

thebruce wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:33 pm
I played this game last year. I wound up drilling the heads off the (stripped) allens. The whole bolt head started turning when I had drilled far enough. The copper sealing washer is a bit of a safety buffer, but not much. Use caution.

Not to take anything away from others' suggestions, but it worked for me in fairly short order, and I didn't wreck the lowers.

The threads themselves weren't corroded tight at all, it was the shoulder of the allen bolt frozen to the copper sealing washer which was in turn frozen to the fork leg.

After I got the top off the bolt, I unscrewed the threaded portion with ease. If there is no oil or a bunch of water in the fork tubes this may turn into a fiasco. Fair warning...

You will be needing new bolts. And sealing washers.
Might do it, sure 'nuff! Good suggestion, after I posted I thought similar … like maybe the soft sealing washer was working overtime.
Another idea is those left hand threaded drill screw extractor combination bits that drill a hole until their extractor part grabs it.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

To drill the head off is the easiest way. It is an 8mm screw (5/16 close enough). The drill will self center itself in the stripped hex... Just go easy and the head will separate from the threaded length on its on.

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

I agree with Elmobile. Been there, done that.
“Fight the fight and do what is right“

Wingnut_93
2008 Triumph Bonniville

Post by Wingnut_93 »

Thanks for the help and suggestions, I'll let you know how it goes.

Wingnut_93
2008 Triumph Bonniville

Post by Wingnut_93 »

Ok got the bolts out (new ones on order), now next problem...

One fork seal came out as expected, the other fork seal doesn't budge and the fork tube gets stuck every time I try to pop the seal loose. Any suggestions???

On plus side got timing belts, adjuster pulleys and spark plugs done!. If I can get forks separated I can move on to back end!

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Wingnut_93 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:37 pm

One fork seal came out as expected, the other fork seal doesn't budge and the fork tube gets stuck every time I try to pop the seal loose. Any suggestions???

On plus side got timing belts, adjuster pulleys and spark plugs done!. If I can get forks separated I can move on to back end!
Progress is good! Guess you removed the snap ring?
Maybe put a bar through axle holes in lower, stand on bar, pull up on tube.

What did it take to get the bolts out?

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Wingnut_93
2008 Triumph Bonniville

Post by Wingnut_93 »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:58 pm
Wingnut_93 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:37 pm

Progress is good! Guess you removed the snap ring?
Maybe put a bar through axle holes in lower, stand on bar, pull up on tube.

What did it take to get the bolts out?
Yeah tried that (and yes snap ring is out), also tried heat and PB Blaster (have is soaking overnight now). The seal moves, I can get it past the groove for the ring but doesn't want to go further than that. The other fork popped right out.

For the bolts, heat and then a spiral extractor, worked great.

Wingnut_93
2008 Triumph Bonniville

Post by Wingnut_93 »

Related question, would any GL1500 year fork work, looking to eBay for contingency plans!

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

Oh good the seal is moving... You most likely have a burr on the groove. Doesn't take much to keep the seal to go pass it... Does the seal get pass the bottom of the groove. If so you can "chamfer" the top of the groove to clean it. Light sand paper will take care of it, IMHO :?

Wingnut_93
2008 Triumph Bonniville

Post by Wingnut_93 »

Elmobile wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:30 pm
Oh good the seal is moving... You most likely have a burr on the groove. Doesn't take much to keep the seal to go pass it... Does the seal get pass the bottom of the groove. If so you can "chamfer" the top of the groove to clean it. Light sand paper will take care of it, IMHO :?
OK I'll keep at it tomorrow but, it has taken quite a bit of punishment so far.

4given

Post by 4given »

Wingnut_93 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:13 pm
Related question, would any GL1500 year fork work, looking to eBay for contingency plans!
The earlier wings were different in that they only had the anti-dive on the one leg. The SE and Aspencade ( I think) had air fittings in the caps at the top. So there are differences. It would be best to look for tubes that fit your year.
Attachments

96 Aspencade
96 Aspencade

88 interstate (I think)
88 interstate (I think)

Wingnut_93
2008 Triumph Bonniville

Post by Wingnut_93 »

4given wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:28 am
Wingnut_93 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:13 pm
The earlier wings were different in that they only had the anti-dive on the one leg. The SE and Aspencade ( I think) had air fittings in the caps at the top. So there are differences. It would be best to look for tubes that fit your year.
Are these differences showstoppers, or can I use an earlier set?

4given

Post by 4given »

I”m fairly sure they would all fit as a whole unit.

4given

Post by 4given »

The caliper bracket is different on the leg without anti-dive unit I believe. You can get a parts breakdown from Cyclemax or Partzilla for every year.

Wingnut_93
2008 Triumph Bonniville

Post by Wingnut_93 »

I ordered complete unit, triple tree, both forks from a 91. Looks like the right is one with antidive which is the one I need to replace, hopefully this will work.

4given

Post by 4given »

It should work. If not, I have a rebuilt set from an ‘88 that I decided not to use. New seals, bushings and sliders. I’m sure I can do better than anything you saw on EBay.