trailer hitch for 94 gl 1500 with CSC Trike

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
waynedudes
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 with CSC Trike conversion

trailer hitch for 94 gl 1500 with CSC Trike

Post by waynedudes »

OK, CSC said that because I have a straight axle CSC trike, the hitch is obsolete? Means that they do not sell it anymore. Someone out there must know where to find a hitch to fit. I have actually built one out of angle iron. But it weights about 20 pounds. So I thought I would look for one made for straight axle that was lighter. I know that they are out there, somewhere?

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: trailer hitch for 94 gl 1500 with CSC Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

20 pounds sounds heavy, but it's not.

I built mine as a 1.25" x 1.25" square receiver (inside dimension) to enable use of hitch rack too, I probably added 15 pounds over what the flat drawbar weighed? I made it to use as a jack point too.

Pics?
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

waynedudes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:32 am
OK, CSC said that because I have a straight axle CSC trike, the hitch is obsolete? I know that they are out there, somewhere?
The problem is finding someone with one that fits your trike kit as the hitch is specific to the kit. There may be one setting on an trike that has been parked for a long time, maybe. The older 1500 trike kits were not as plentiful as the 1800 kits have been.
If the trike is still in use most owners probably won't part with a hitch.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

waynedudes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:32 am
OK, CSC said that because I have a straight axle CSC trike, the hitch is obsolete? Means that they do not sell it anymore. Someone out there must know where to find a hitch to fit. I have actually built one out of angle iron. But it weights about 20 pounds. So I thought I would look for one made for straight axle that was lighter. I know that they are out there, somewhere?
Reading the CSC book I have, sounds like the hitch was a 1.25" square tube receiver welded to a plate that attached under the body to the frame, then they had you cut fiberglass to allow install of drawbar? No pictures though?
CSC book wrote: Position hitch plate into frame and install all support bolts and tighten. Locate a 1/8” or 3/16” X
8” drill bit. From the underside of the trike, and using the four corners of the receiver as a
guide, drill four (4) holes through the fiberglass body (one at each corner of the receiver).
Then, from outside of body, use a ruler and scribe to connect the four (4) holes you drilled. Cut
out with a grinder. After cutting out, use flat file to smooth edges. Loosen lock bolt on hitch
plate, slide tongue into position, fasten with clip and pin, and re-tighten lock bolt. Now you
can install hitch ball and tighten to 50 ft. lbs.
I include a couple pics, but both are Lehman trikes. The red one is mine, the other I saw at a rally.

There are two rear crossmembers the hitch normally attaches to, the OEM drawbar is a wide flat bar. I built mine to tie the hitch in with the trike frame to stiffen it, maybe helps?

That long tie bar goes under the rear axle, it ties into a cross piece mounted at what was the center stand mount, it attaches to the receiver with 3/8" bolts, like an extension. Overkill? Maybe? But it really works well.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)