Well need some insight....

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
in2it
Motorcycle: 2000 GL 1500 Aspencade
1982 GL1100 SOLD
1980 GL1100 Bobber with Vance and Hines Headers/Mufflers
Past Rides
1972 CB 350
1975 CB 550 4 with Dunstall headers and mufflers
1978 GL 1000

Well need some insight....

Post by in2it »

I have a 80 Goldwing I rebuilt the master cylinder and caliper... I read about using a vacuum pump to restore the fluid... well I cant seem to get things rolling... I bought a pump (hand) at AutoZone ..the Brand OEM ... I have pumped on that thing till I'm crapping in my hands... and no fluid is filling the caliper... did I buy a crappy pump... I've read about Mighty Vac... if that's what I need will drive 50 miles to get it... should I primed the caliper somewhat before installing in back on the bike ... I have in the past I've rebuilt complete brake jobs on cars when they had wheel cylinders...and on some there was a sequence on bleeding after rebuilding all four wheel cylinders... I'm at wits end... advice would be helpful

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort

Re: Well need some insight....

Post by MikeB »

Well, you aren't really giving a lot of information other than it is not going well.

Have you tested the vacuum pump? Put a finger over the vacuum inlet to close it off as you pump the handle. Does it build vacuum when tested?
Are the brake lines air tight? Where are you attaching the vacuum pump? To a bleed screw on the caliper? Is the master cylinder full of fluid?
If the system is air tight, the vacuum pump makes vacuum, and you place the vacuum pump inlet hose to the caliper bleed screw you should get fluid flow or at least some for of vacuum. Does the vacuum pump have a gauge on it so you can see that vacuum is being developed?
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

in2it
1982 GL1100 SOLD
Past Rides
1972 CB 350
1978 GL 1000

Post by in2it »

MikeB wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:54 pm
Well, you aren't really giving a lot of information other than it is not going well.

Have you tested the vacuum pump? Put a finger over the vacuum inlet to close it off as you pump the handle. Does it build vacuum when tested?
Are the brake lines air tight? Where are you attaching the vacuum pump? To a bleed screw on the caliper? Is the master cylinder full of fluid?
If the system is air tight, the vacuum pump makes vacuum, and you place the vacuum pump inlet hose to the caliper bleed screw you should get fluid flow or at least some for of vacuum. Does the vacuum pump have a gauge on it so you can see that vacuum is being developed?
MikeB your right ... wasn't much there just me venting ... to clear the air.... yes I did the finger test over the hose and the gauge held steady ... after I wrote the post.. I went back out taking a deep breath and went back at it... what the problem was ... was the crappy connection to the bleeder screw (get what you pay for) ... I took out the screw ... wrapped electrical tape around the screw to where I have a tight connection when I slipped the hose over the screw... and then pumped... Low and behold... brake fluid ... all is well ... MikeB thanks for the reply

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort

Post by MikeB »

Glad you got it sorted out. It's pretty common that air will leak by the bleed valve threads and not too common that the vacuum pump is at fault.
Normally, a little grease around the bleed valve where it screws into the caliper will take care of any air leakage past the threads. Then a tiny amount of grease will get pulled into the voids in the threads as vacuum is applied and does not allow the air to pass. That allows successful application of vacuum to the caliper and brake lines.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

in2it
1982 GL1100 SOLD
Past Rides
1972 CB 350
1978 GL 1000

Post by in2it »

MikeB wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:47 am
Glad you got it sorted out. It's pretty common that air will leak by the bleed valve threads and not too common that the vacuum pump is at fault.
Normally, a little grease around the bleed valve where it screws into the caliper will take care of any air leakage past the threads. Then a tiny amount of grease will get pulled into the voids in the threads as vacuum is applied and does not allow the air to pass. That allows successful application of vacuum to the caliper and brake lines.
I took off the the fitting that came with pump and used the tube itself instead of a fitting ... just had to Build up the fitting with tape to make a tight connection