86 SEi fails to turn over

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Warbum99
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 SEi Aspencade

86 SEi fails to turn over

Post by Warbum99 »

Hi guys, Im back.

So after the winter, put a fully charged battery on the old girl to see if she would start up (she was running great last summer). And nothing, reads ~ 12.5 volts on the display, battery is only a year old, checked the starter solenoid, switched it with a different one i had lying around, check the dogbone, checked the ignition fuse, checked the ignition line under the false tank, the starter switch cuts off the fuel pump in off and kicks it back on when in on. Still nothing, all i hear is a click. That being said i can hotwire across the starter solenoid and the starter will kick on and rotate, so not seized or anything. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: 86 SEi fails to turn over

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Warbum99 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:27 pm
Hi guys, Im back.

So after the winter, put a fully charged battery on the old girl to see if she would start up (she was running great last summer). And nothing, reads ~ 12.5 volts on the display, battery is only a year old, checked the starter solenoid, switched it with a different one i had lying around, check the dogbone, checked the ignition fuse, checked the ignition line under the false tank, the starter switch cuts off the fuel pump in off and kicks it back on when in on. Still nothing, all i hear is a click. That being said i can hotwire across the starter solenoid and the starter will kick on and rotate, so not seized or anything. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Just took my '85 Limited Edition out of hibernation this past week. Having mentioned this, are there any error codes when key turned on? Does the dash go through the start up procedure, everything gets checked on the FI bikes. From your post, I take it the fuel pump comes on when the key is turned on and the fuel pump stays on for some 3 to 5 seconds to pressurize the fuel system, then turns off - key still on.

Have you tried starting with the clutch pulled in?

You hear a click when you push the start button? If so where is the click from?

Have you checked the in-line fuse that provides power to the CFI system? This is the one that is connected to the battery side of the starter solenoid.

Good luck.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Warbum99
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 SEi Aspencade

Post by Warbum99 »

Red,

No error codes, dash goes thru its procedure, fuel pump kicks off after 3-5sec, or if take the kill switch to off, then kicks back on when i take the kill switch to on. Tried starting with the clutch in same result...nothing. Like i said i can put a screwdriver across the starter solenoid but thats the only way my starter is kicking on. I checked the 15A iginition, 30A CFI? if thats the green one on the starter solenoid, and the dogbone fuse. Thanks for the help

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Sounds like everything is good until you hit the start switch. Recommend you disconnect the 4 wire connector to the starter solenoid. The yellow/red wire comes from the starter button on the handlebar. The green/red goes to ground through a diode and the neutral switch. The red wire goes to the ignition switch, the red/white wire comes from the RR. Take a voltmeter and test the yellow/red wire to ground. No voltage with key off, voltage with key on and starter button pushed. If this proves good, reconnect the connector to the starter solenoid, cut the green/red wire (can always reconnect after this test), connect a wire to the green/red wire (connector side) and connect to the battery negative. Try to start, if starts issue will probably be the diode under the seat just above and a little to the rear of the shock. Here's location pic:

This diode is still available from Honda. There are two sizes of diodes under the same number, this is the smaller of the two.

Good luck

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest