Goldie got a “summer cut” this week!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: .
1983 honda gl1100i interstate
2009 triumph bonneville t100

Goldie got a “summer cut” this week!

Post by bruce swaybill »

:D
Goldie got a “summer cut” this week.

On stinking hot humid days this old girl is unbearable. The still air pocket created by the fairing that is great on cold or rainy days can almost make me pass out in July or August.

So, I’m trying an experiment. I swapped out the clear +2inch for my old standard tinted shield and cut it down to a height that looks ok. After 7 years with the other shield I have to say it will take some getting used to the new look. Although I don’t have worry about hitting my head as I throw a leg over, or glare from the low sun.

If I don’t like it enough I can always go back the tall shield (May do that anyway in the fall).

Safe riding. :D
Bruce S.
Attachments

Have a nice day! :)

Lucky07
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade, 1984 CB550SC

Re: Goldie got a “summer cut” this week!

Post by Lucky07 »

I have to replace my windshield soon (old and scratched up) and was thinking of doing something like this with it the old one. Just wasn't sure on the aerodynamics of it all that's why I haven't cut her down yet.I don't deal with heat very well so I don't mind the wind ... but I absolutely hate constant buffeting which is why I didn't cut it down last summer. Didn't want to risk it.

You da guinea pig! Let me know how it works.

bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: .
1983 honda gl1100i interstate
2009 triumph bonneville t100

Re: Goldie got a “summer cut” this week!

Post by bruce swaybill »

With the tall shield, I wore a 3/4 helmet most of the time. It’s quieter than my 1/2 helmet. With the tall shield I heard very little wind but all the engine sounds, good and bad. In fact I thought the GW was louder than my Bonneville. I only felt little puffs of wind in my face. And little more on my torso or back. Great at 80mph, but sucks at 20-30mph.

With the “summer “ shield I have to wear a full face helmet (like on the Bonnie) and all I hear is wind. I can’t tell what the engine speed is without seeing the tach. The wind blast is from my shoulders up. Still have a pocket of still air below that. So it should seem cooler but not as cool as a naked bike like the Bonnie. The extra wind noise makes it not as peaceful in the saddle, but the unobstructed view is awesome. It’s feels like a different bike. Plus it has sort of an F6B look....

I thought I’d try it for a while. Can always change back.

Bruce S.
Attachments

Have a nice day! :)