Gl1200LE computer questions

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
hondaazz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I
1978 CB400TII

Gl1200LE computer questions

Post by hondaazz »

I just took possession of an 85 Limited Edition with 18k on the clock. While going through it, I've come to the conclusion that it needs a new stator (looks like its been replaced at least once already), but I am more interested in why the center "false tank computer" only lights up, but no information is displayed. The buttons on the right appear to work, and the knobs along the top of the controls work as well, just nothing is displayed. The actual dash is working fine. Am I missing something here, or is it common for those displays to fail?

hondaazz
1978 CB400TII

Re: Gl1200LE computer questions

Post by hondaazz »

hondaazz wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:47 pm
I just took possession of an 85 Limited Edition with 18k on the clock. While going through it, I've come to the conclusion that it needs a new stator (looks like its been replaced at least once already), but I am more interested in why the center "false tank computer" only lights up, but no information is displayed. The buttons on the right appear to work, and the knobs along the top of the controls work as well, just nothing is displayed. The actual dash is working fine. Am I missing something here, or is it common for those displays to fail?
To follow up on my own question - there is a 7.5A fuse located under the left storage compartment. My fuse was blown for whatever reason. Replacing the fuse with the spare fuse in the little pouch brought the display back. The clock and map of North America is a nice touch! Guess Ill just search around here for a while to find my answers lol...

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Nice score. I'm a fan of the '85 Limited Edition - have had mine for 5 years and it's my retirement project, in the process of rebuilding the engine. What additional items have been added and what is the power source. Are the connectors in the travel computer in good shape. I would take the connectors out, clean and put back in.

Regarding the stator, you did the stator check? Have you looked at the connections to the regulator/rectifier. Make sure these are in good shape and clean. The stator connector on the front side of the battery needs to be looked at. Make sure it is clean and in good condition as well. If you have to put a new stator in you will have to remove the engine.

Good luck.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

CountryXJer
Motorcycle: 1982 KZ 750M1 CSR 26,000 miles
1985 GL1200L Limited Edition 44,157 miles

Post by CountryXJer »

Another question on the electronic navigator. According to the manual, the time zone is supposed to stop flashing after you have advanced either the hour or minute knobs. Mine continues to flash. Also the fuel quantity display continues to display ----, thus not allowing the range function to work. Ideas?
'85 GL1200 LTD

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

I have my travel computer off the bike as I am rebuilding the engine. Can't comment on the time and time zone function right now. The "----" of the fuel management system indicates that the diode on the fuel sending unit has failed, and will have to be replaced. There are several threads on this with the diode P/N. I have a thread on this subject: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36947 Here is sportsfreaked thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35157&p=209590#p209590

Ernest

CountryXJer
Motorcycle: 1982 KZ 750M1 CSR 26,000 miles
1985 GL1200L Limited Edition 44,157 miles

Post by CountryXJer »

Thank you. I'll check it out.
'85 GL1200 LTD

hondaazz
1978 CB400TII

Post by hondaazz »

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:38 am
Nice score. I'm a fan of the '85 Limited Edition - have had mine for 5 years and it's my retirement project, in the process of rebuilding the engine. What additional items have been added and what is the power source. Are the connectors in the travel computer in good shape. I would take the connectors out, clean and put back in.

Regarding the stator, you did the stator check? Have you looked at the connections to the regulator/rectifier. Make sure these are in good shape and clean. The stator connector on the front side of the battery needs to be looked at. Make sure it is clean and in good condition as well. If you have to put a new stator in you will have to remove the engine.

Good luck.
My wife thinks so too! She's not perfect, but for being 35 years old, it's fine 😉 I've looked it over a little closer & while the stator puts out the ~50v AC on all 3 yellow wires, those wires heat up real fast once the bike is started. I suspected a short somewhere & yes, the R/R does not pass the test. Even with a full battery, the voltage drops to barely 12v once the fan comes on. I ordered a new R/R today & it should be here in a couple of days. I was hoping to see the Poorboy kit installed on this machine already, but no luck. The bike doesn't have any other accessories that aren't factory as far as I can tell - CB radio, AM/FM cassette (remember those?) and a cigarette lighter. Too bad I quit several years ago...

The stator connector itself was replaced by a PO, but did a lousy job taping the connectors. Once the R/R comes in, I'll take those apart & solder everything straight through. I've been reading quite a bit on the sub-par connectors here & hope to make my stator last many more years - as long as the cooked R/R didn't in turn weaken the stator.

Thanks for the reply - sorry Im getting back late... Never saw the notification & quite honestly wasn't expecting someone to respond!

hondaazz
1978 CB400TII

Post by hondaazz »

CountryXJer wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:33 pm
Another question on the electronic navigator. According to the manual, the time zone is supposed to stop flashing after you have advanced either the hour or minute knobs. Mine continues to flash. Also the fuel quantity display continues to display ----, thus not allowing the range function to work. Ideas?
My time zone flashes even after I set the time too, & thought that was normal. I find it a bit annoying because I really don't plan on crossing any time zones on a regular basis. If I figure out something, Ill reply back. As far as the digits showing zero, I figured they only change from -- -- once you put some miles on the bike. I haven't just yet because of the electrical issue, but if they still don't change after I'm on the road I'll look into the diode.

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

No worries. I really like the '85 Limited Edition. If you don't have the OEM manuals, would recommend getting a copy. Need the OEM service and electrical troubleshooting manuals and the supplement. Will answer a lot of questions. I've probably overdone the work/maintenance on my '85, but it's a work in progress that I enjoy and it's not going anywhere soon. The Mrs likes riding on it too. Will be giving it a fresh coat of paint. Always something to do.

Ernest

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

hondaazz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:45 pm
My wife thinks so too! She's not perfect, but for being 35 years old, it's fine 😉 I've looked it over a little closer & while the stator puts out the ~50v AC on all 3 yellow wires, those wires heat up real fast once the bike is started. I suspected a short somewhere & yes, the R/R does not pass the test. Even with a full battery, the voltage drops to barely 12v once the fan comes on. ...etc...
I'll leave the first part alone. :D
As to the bike, if that's at idle, not reved up, that's not so bad. That fan is a load that you'll rarely see come on once moving.

There are two connectors between the stator and regulator, one is just three wires and is located just ahead of the battery, the other is up near the regulator/rectifier and it has all the wires for the reg/rec passing through it. I put a new one on the stator end when I put a new stator in back in the '90s, but I also noticed that while not melted, the upper connector near the reg/rec showed heat so I cut the three yellow wires there and spliced bypassing the connector.

Sold it last year, still running great, no charging issues, but at idle while I was opening the basement double doors, I'd hear the fan come on and when I'd get back on the bike to pull in, my volt meter read very near 12 vdc.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)