brake bleeding lots of air

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
idflyit
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing gl1500se

brake bleeding lots of air

Post by idflyit »

i would think,with this much air there would be brake fluid on my shop floor...I am using a Might Vac.have pulled 16oz. of new brake fluid through the LF bleeder. Pedal has ZERO feel..Im LOST...PLEASE & THANK YOU to all who reply

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: brake bleeding lots of air

Post by dingdong »

When are you seeing the air that you speak of? With a mighty vac you can draw air from around the hose connection as well as the threads of the bleed nipple. I would try with a helper to bleed by pumping the pedal. That said with no brake pedal pressure at all, Im guessing you have a failed master cylinder.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 »

Have you tried bleeding the rear caliper? You didn't say what you are working on but, if it is a 99 Goldwing, the left front and the rear calipers are linked in the braking system and both operate when you use the brake pedal.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

I have had lots of luck with gravity bleeding. Put the hose in a container open the bleeder valve, let gravity do the work, Keep an eye on the reservoir so it doesn't run out of fluid
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

I like to bleed brakes the old school way into a bottle up higher. Recently I tried reverse bleeding just to see if it did any better. It was ok. For a motorcycle benchbleeding, regular old style bleeding the caliper into a bottle and then put something on the brake pedal over nite, sometimes 2 if you like. :D

+1 on the air bubbles coming from threads using a mityvac. A mityvac is a great tool mine is about wore out but I dont prefer it for a motorcycle.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Happytrails wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:02 pm
+1 on the air bubbles coming from threads using a mityvac. A mityvac is a great tool mine is about wore out but I dont prefer it for a motorcycle.
Regular axle grease wiped on the threads at point they enter the caliper after loosening the bleeder valve helps.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)