Clutch slipping

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
ap4840
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Clutch slipping

Post by ap4840 »

Bike
Bike

Bike
Bike

[/url]Hello everyone! I am wondering what you guys might think the problem is with my clutch. I have a 2000 1500 SE with only 15,400 original miles, bike runs great.... Except the clutch feels like it's slipping in 2nd and 4th gear mostly. When I go to give it a lot of gas when I'm riding, the engine winds but the bike isn't moving any faster, feels like it's spinning or something. I changed the oil to Mobil 1 , 10w40 high mileage and bled the clutch. I'm in denial that the clutch is already bad with only 15000 miles on it. Is there anything else that I should check or change before getting into the clutch? I'm pretty desperate as I am not able to do the clutch myself and will have to spend alot of money to replace the clutch. Any creative ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all of you guys in advance!! You guys are awesome! Love these forums.

Scott

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: Clutch slipping

Post by bluthundr31 »

The symptoms you describe are the same as what I experienced.

When you say you "bled the clutch", did you use fresh DOT4 AND did you wipe down the inside of the clutch reservoir to get all the brown "gunk" out? Also, did you clean the "return" under the shiny silver tab? You gently pry up the tab and use a small torch tip (something stiff and VERY thin) to poke into the hole and clean it out. In my case, when I poked in the hole, the built up pressure sprayed fluid up past my hand. I quickly cleaned it all up so none got on any plastic. That return hole was my problem, , , could be your problem too.

ap4840

Post by ap4840 »

Thank you for the response! No I didn't flush it and out clean it out, only bled the air bubbles out of the line. I'll try to do that this weekend. Thanks again for helping me out!

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Nice bike!

Using Mobil 1 (a synthetic) - 10w40 high mileage in a 15,400 mile Gold Wing?
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 »

Ouch! CrystalPistol is right, I didn't even notice the oil comment, , , , Could Mobil 1 10W-40 Hi Mi have the dreaded FRICTION MODIFIERS? Check the "donut" on the back of the bottle, the lower portion of the circle should be blank.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort

Post by MikeB »

Your oil MAY be the problem.

High-mileage oil is formulated with additive packages specifically for engines with more than 75-100k miles on the odometer. Those additives include:

- Seal conditioners that can swell and rejuvenate gaskets and seals back to their original size and shape, heading off engine leaks
- Viscosity modifiers that keep the oil thicker through its service cycle
- Detergents to fight carbon and sludge buildup on internal parts
- Anti-corrosion agents
- Friction modifiers that help compensate for the looser internal tolerances between moving parts

The friction modifiers may be the issue here.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

ap4840

Post by ap4840 »

I've read a couple posts and a video where Goldwing owners have used the Mobil 1,10w40 high mileage on low mileage Goldwings. The oil doesn't have friction modifiers in it I just read the bottle. However, I probably should have used something different. I'm a rookie with this bike. The clutch is VERY stiff to pull in and has gotten worse today. I bought a mighty vac today to bleed out the old fluid and get the master cylinder low enough to try to clean it out and flush the old fluid. I have only ridden about 60 miles on this oil change. Which oil do you recommend? There are just alot of varying opinions on oil types that people use. I sincerely appreciate the advice from each of you and your perspective.

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Post by bigsteveswing »

I don't know if having low mileage would do anything different with the oil, but that is the same oil I have been using. I got the recommendation from WingAdmin in the how-to section, seems to work good for me. My bike has 74,000 on it though.
Attachments

Big Steve
Keep America Strong: Weld It
8-)

ap4840

Post by ap4840 »

I think that's one of the posts that I read, from the site Admin here. I'm honestly thinking that my clutch is probably very dirty and needs to be flushed and probably dissembled and cleaned the master cylinder and slave cylinder. I'm pretty sure this is the same clutch fluid from 2000. I'll try to see if there is an adjustment for the clutch cable too possibly? Maybe loosen it a little? Thanks again to all.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

The clutch is hydraulic; no cable. Just do a good drain, fill and bleed.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

ap4840

Post by ap4840 »

Awesome! Thanks! Hope that's all it needs!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

MikeB wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:41 pm
Your oil MAY be the problem.

High-mileage oil is formulated with additive packages specifically for engines with more than 75-100k miles on the odometer. Those additives include:

- Seal conditioners that can swell and rejuvenate gaskets and seals back to their original size and shape, heading off engine leaks
- Viscosity modifiers that keep the oil thicker through its service cycle
- Detergents to fight carbon and sludge buildup on internal parts
- Anti-corrosion agents
- Friction modifiers that help compensate for the looser internal tolerances between moving parts

The friction modifiers may be the issue here.
The Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage oil he is using does NOT have friction modifiers. It is an excellent oil for use in the GL1500, and I know this because I have in fact used it in my own GL1500 for MANY years. It makes the transmission shift extremely smoothly, and does not cause clutch slip.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Yeah, 15,400 mile a 2000 GL1500, likely it still had OEM clutch fluid, maybe brake fluid too.

I'd change both if mine. DOT 4

Hopefully that and a "port clean" clears it up. The fluids don't seem to darken from trash so much as from moisture / age.

As to oil used, I have used Mobil 1 HM (in my '07 F150 now) , but I like the Delo LE400 15W40 so far in the trike, and I don't seem to get a lot of miles on it like I used to … and seeing as I have a few jugs left to "use up", it'll be awhile before I use something else.

I just thought it odd using M1HM in a bike of such low mileage, wasn't sure about friction modifiers?
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

ap4840

Post by ap4840 »

Thanks again to all of you! I agree that both fluids need to be flushed. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all of your recommendations do the trick! I'll update after I get it done.

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

I was in Walmart yesterday and out of curiosity I went and check the Mobil 1 High Mileage oil.
I know it is 5W30 and not the 10W40, but the lower part of the donut is not blank...!
Would anyone knows what the SN PLUS means?
Attachments

ap4840

Post by ap4840 »

That's means it's meant to be used in turbo charged gasoline engines.

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing »

Elmobile wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:24 pm
I was in Walmart yesterday and out of curiosity I went and check the Mobil 1 High Mileage oil.
I know it is 5W30 and not the 10W40, but the lower part of the donut is not blank...!
Would anyone knows what the SN PLUS means?
I noticed that too, but the 10w40 doesn't have the same thing...I don't know why though.
Big Steve
8-)

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

bluthundr31 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:50 pm
The symptoms you describe are the same as what I experienced.

When you say you "bled the clutch", did you use fresh DOT4 AND did you wipe down the inside of the clutch reservoir to get all the brown "gunk" out? Also, did you clean the "return" under the shiny silver tab? You gently pry up the tab and use a small torch tip (something stiff and VERY thin) to poke into the hole and clean it out. In my case, when I poked in the hole, the built up pressure sprayed fluid up past my hand. I quickly cleaned it all up so none got on any plastic. That return hole was my problem, , , could be your problem too.

Anything that keeps the clutch from completely releasing will cause the symptoms you describe. There should be a little movement of the clutch lever before the clutch releases, if the clutch releases immediately then that is the reason for your slippage, as noted above the only easy answer is something like a blocked return passage.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

ap4840

Post by ap4840 »

Thanks to everyones help, I was able to fix the slipping clutch! When I opened the clutch master cylinder, there was a disgusting layer or scum that coated the bottom. I drained all the old nasty fluid, cleaned it out real good, found a TINY piece of wire to clear the little port at the bottom of the master cylinder, refilled with clean Dot 4 fluid, bled the line at the slave cylinder and at the master cylinder, took it for a test drive, I made sure to get the bike hot and rode it various speeds and no slipping! I'm so happy it ended up being something that I was capable of repairing. Thank you again to everyone! Take care and ride safe.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Good job. I'm happy it all worked out for you. Now go put some miles on that girl. She has been neglected for too long.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing »

Glad you got it worked out, satisfying to fix your own things too, I love that feeling!
Big Steve
8-)

Rubberside_down
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by Rubberside_down »

Hello, i,m Georg from Germany.

Please have a look to MA2 or JASO Specification. Very important for Clutches that runs in Oil!

Best regards
Georg

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Rubberside_down wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:07 pm
Hello, i,m Georg from Germany.

Please have a look to MA2 or JASO Specification. Very important for Clutches that runs in Oil!

Best regards
Georg
I don't think it was an oil issue. It was contaminated brake fluid.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Rubberside_down
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by Rubberside_down »

Hello.
Yes, in this case you're right.
What i'll say is, the MOBIL Oil is basically not suitable for Engines with in Oil running clutches.

Best regards
Georg

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Rubberside_down wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:52 am
Hello.
Yes, in this case you're right.
What i'll say is, the MOBIL Oil is basically not suitable for Engines with in Oil running clutches.

Best regards
Georg
What is your reference on this George? I have not seen any reports of Mobil Oils having any ill effects with wet clutches.

Actually, Mobil 1 is quite suitable for running with a wet clutch, as is all synthetic Oils.
I've used Mobil 1 but now use Shell Rotella T6.
I've been using synthetic Oils for about 20 years in my Gold wings. Well over 400,000 miles and no ill effects to wet clutches.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA