Help installing a radio that fits

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Atl9s
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

Help installing a radio that fits

Post by Atl9s »

Good day, all

I am an ecstatic 3rd owner of a 1985 Honda Goldwing Interstate that I purchased last week

I'm not certain which of the previous two owners installed an aftermarket radio on it, but it's an old Alpine radio that barely works and sticks out about 2-3 inches. It actually tends to hit the handlebars often.

So.... I've not a clue how to go about installing my own radio, nor which one would fit best. I believe there are radios called short bodies that are as the name implies. I just don't know which one would be great. A marine one would be exceptional so I wouldn't have to worry about getting damaged in rain as I live in South Florida. Shine or rain, I take the reign.

I will add some pictures of the fuse box and the wire harness to see if anyone can help me with learning how to install a new radio.
Attachments

autonoob
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Re: Help installing a radio that fits

Post by autonoob »

I haven't tried doing this on my bike, will it be better if you ask a car audio community? :?: :idea:

Atl9s

Post by Atl9s »

autonoob wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:40 pm
I haven't tried doing this on my bike, will it be better if you ask a car audio community? :?: :idea:
I was thinking about it but I've gone to three different car audio shops and all three turned me away because they said they don't know how to work on motorcycles so I figured the car audio guys might do the same.

nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by nwkwinger »

Here's a little bit of good news. From my limited experience with car radios, the wiring plugs seems to be fairly universal these days. You can unplug one radio and plug into another one (again from my limited experience). I've changed between brands (Kenwood, Pioneer, Jensen to name a few) this way. I'm not at all saying that your Alpine plug will fit into another brand or even a newer radio, but it could work that way. Radio wiring is really fairly simple. You have a constant power, a ground, a "switched" power that comes on with the key, and your speaker wires. All of the new radios that I've installed have a sticker on them with the wiring diagram on it to help make installation easier. Soon, I'm going to install a radio on my 1983 GL1100I since it doesn't have one. I'm thinking about a marine radio on this too. I just don't feel like a car radio would hold up very well in the rain.

Atl9s

Post by Atl9s »

nwkwinger wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:45 am
Here's a little bit of good news. From my limited experience with car radios, the wiring plugs seems to be fairly universal these days. You can unplug one radio and plug into another one (again from my limited experience). I've changed between brands (Kenwood, Pioneer, Jensen to name a few) this way. I'm not at all saying that your Alpine plug will fit into another brand or even a newer radio, but it could work that way. Radio wiring is really fairly simple. You have a constant power, a ground, a "switched" power that comes on with the key, and your speaker wires. All of the new radios that I've installed have a sticker on them with the wiring diagram on it to help make installation easier. Soon, I'm going to install a radio on my 1983 GL1100I since it doesn't have one. I'm thinking about a marine radio on this too. I just don't feel like a car radio would hold up very well in the rain.
Fantastic, I hope you find and install the perfect radio without issues. I guess I might as well just buy a decent marine radio and see what happens.

kicker29
Motorcycle: 1987GL1200 Interstate

Post by kicker29 »

I just installed a radio in my 1987 1200 Interstate last August or September. It is a short body. I got it at Walmart for under $100.00. The previous owner apparently removed a radio before I bought the bike as there was signs of an antenna attached at the rear and the blank on the dashboard where the radio should be did not fit right and kept falling off at the most inopportune time. The last time it fell out the car behind me rolled right over it and destroyed it. That's when I installed a piece of 1/8" plywood over the gaping hole. A few weeks later I decided to install the radio. It is a JVC KD-SX24BT Works great. Wish I had done this a few years ago.

BIG TREY
Motorcycle: 1985 ltd aspencade

Post by BIG TREY »

Get a new radio 1/2 din which is only half the size of regular radio.u can then use existing wires .
Usually they are yellow (power with key on)red (12v fused to battery) and then black for ground
Then you can run speaker wires to front speaker and to rear