Progressive spring: Standard versus Heavy duty

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
ayassa
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800
1988 GL1500
1984 GL1200 Aspencade (sold)

Progressive spring: Standard versus Heavy duty

Post by ayassa »

Hello riders,
I would like to ask a question about progressive suspension on a GL1800 2008. I read all the posts here that adressed the subject a couple of years ago (2015 to 2017) and I made my mind about ordering a set of spring for my ride. It is close to 49,000 miles and I am tilting the scale around 300 lbs. That make me prioritize a heavy duty equipement.
I searched the web for a set of progressive springs, ideally from a store in Canada as I live in Northern Québec.
I found pairs of standard progressive spring (11-1521) shown as a pair and the picture shows long narrow pair in a box.
The heavy duty progressive spring (01-1179B) looks to be much more stubby (shorter, larger or wider) and in all pictures seem to be sold as a single.
I don't want to order parts that may take a while to be delivered as the Covid-19 is still around and have to send back because it doesn't fit although the seller is confirming that it will fit my ride.
Anyone could confirm that the heavy duty is sold as single and that they both fit the same bike.
Thanks in advance and ride safe!
Attachments

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Progressive spring: Standard versus Heavy duty

Post by Viking »

The pair is for the front suspension, and the single is for the rear which is a monoshock and will have to be rebuilt. Yes, from what you are showing, these are the correct items. It would be a good idea to order the rear spring compression tool from Progressive, and also, if you are rebuilding the rear shock, then also get the traxxion dynamics steel braided line. https://traxxion.com/product/steel-brai ... -adjuster/
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ayassa
1988 GL1500

Post by ayassa »

Thanks Viking!
I must be getting old or near sighted. I just realize that I even did recopy the wording " Fork springs" and that explains why two springs.

I will get the heavy duty Progressive Spring here in Canada.
I would have gone the Traxxion way, except that the Authorized dealers are rare and Far far away. Too far for my poor rear suspension these days.
Quoting you
(and the single is for the rear which is a monoshock and will have to be rebuilt.)
I am puzzled. I read or seen a couple of YouTube video that mention that the original Honda rear shock was quite sufficient and would last a long time. Do I really have to change or rebuilt?
I was hoping to just replace the old spring with a newer stiffer spring from Progressive. Nothing else except of course change the bearings to tapered and add the Kuryakin fork brace. The front fork has been serviced last year (less than 1000 miles) after a leakage and I wasn't ready to do a big change.
Always later we think... I should have...

Viking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by Viking »

Yeah, sadly, if you want your rear to operate as it did when the bike was new, you will need to rebuild it. It is not the shock that is your problem, it is the line that carries fluid from the reservoir to the shock when you perform adjustments at the dash. This line has softened and swells when you adjust the shock. You have probably only got about ten clicks of adjustment now instead of the 25 that show on the dash. Yes, you can just do the spring, but you have to remove the assembly to do this, so why not do it completely while it is out. This is why you would need the braided line from Traxxion.

What others HAVE done, is purchase a trike takeoff shock that has not been used much, and replaced the spring on that, then just replaced their old one with this one. This does not, however, address the inherent failing of the system which is the fluid line. Honda should have put a braided steel line there in the first place.

ayassa
1988 GL1500

Post by ayassa »

That is very useful information Viking.
Indeed I was having almost no response from the preload pressure adjustment. I intended to check the amount of fluid in the reservoir and top it, thinking that was the main issue for the lack of preload response.
Purchasing the Traxxion braided line seems a good idea but from your comment
if you want your rear to operate as it did when the bike was new, you will need to rebuild it.
you state that I will need to rebuild the shock. It is not just a matter of replacing the line?

I did inquire around from Trike builders for rear shock assembly left over after trike overhaul. Still waiting for answers. It would help tremendously having parts in hand and figure the modifications before disassembling my own bike.

Can you point toward a video or shortly explain what is entitled in rebuilding the shock. Does it require much handling or need for a specialized mechanic. It is not that I am mechanically challenge. I have no closed garage to work quietly on the bike. The enclosed trailer is just enough for small maintenance.
Attachments

ayassa
1988 GL1500

Post by ayassa »

I did find a good video on changing the Traxxion steel braided line on rear shock at the following
URL:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Viking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by Viking »

Yeah, that's pretty much it, aside from getting the shock apart to change the spring. Their tool, and Progrissives tool both do a great job and come with instructions. If you search on Traxxions site, where they sell the braided hose, there is a written instruction with photos that you can download. It takes the reloading of the fluid a little more carefully so it is easily understood.

ayassa
1988 GL1500

Post by ayassa »

Thanks for the help Viking.

Now that my research is almost complete, time to get the hands dirty..and the wallet lighter ;)