Why no reponse to "helpful" replies

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
Joneszy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade Stripped
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"

Why no reponse to "helpful" replies

Post by Joneszy »

I belong to a few other goldwing forums and I often wonder why there is very seldom a reply to responses on the Gl1000 or Gl1100 forums on GoldwingDocs which I subscribe to on this site. It seems that folks come on here ask a ? and then totally drop the thread. I have decided to quit trying to help others out with their problems when they refuse to be polite enough to either answer or at least say thanks. Not being a horses ass but I belong to other sites and have never experienced this attitude other than here. The community spirit is lacking and I often wonder why.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: Why no reponse to "helpful" replies

Post by dingdong »

I don't think that is true for the frequent posting members here. Bet you will find that those who don't return are usually first time posters. But it is impolite. Don't give up because of them.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

I would agree about the first time posters. Many look for a simple "what part" will fix my problem answer on a barn find machine when in reality it takes diagnostics, tools and work effort for a successful repair.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

It's the same on automotive forums. Some guy will come on the board, all happy about his '78 924, asking why it's making that rumbling noise in the rear and asking what kind of tires will make the noise go away, because the previous owner told him that's what the problem is.

Someone tells him it's the rear mainshaft bearing and will cost more to fix than the car is worth, times three, and he ghosts the post, probably embarrassed for being excited about an old machine that's more expensive to fix than it's worth.
'03 GL1800A

Joneszy
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"

Post by Joneszy »

tamathumper wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:38 pm
It's the same on automotive forums. Some guy will come on the board, all happy about his '78 924, asking why it's making that rumbling noise in the rear and asking what kind of tires will make the noise go away, because the previous owner told him that's what the problem is.

Someone tells him it's the rear mainshaft bearing and will cost more to fix than the car is worth, times three, and he ghosts the post, probably embarrassed for being excited about an old machine that's more expensive to fix than it's worth.
Ya that could have a lot to do with it. Quite a few are not in for the long haul restoration etc. The $300 bike that is going to cost another $1500 to $2000 to get her up and looking/riding good no longer appeals.

Joneszy
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"

Post by Joneszy »

Hey Dingdong and ct1500 looks like I lost a reply but thanks for weighing in. I agree that most one timers are just looking for an easy answer/part# etc. rather than doing their own research etc. And by your post counts you have been here for the long haul and thank you for that. Without members like yourselves these forums would quickly lose their appeal. Just kind of wonder why there seems to be so many of these one posters and why more of them don't seem to stick around. In Goldwingdocs defence maybe if I spent more time here I would have realized that there were folks with 3800 and 1300 posts. Not knocking this site just seemed to me that we attract folks that ask a question and are never heard from again.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

I look at a lot of posts and threads on the various forums. I can comment on the '85/'86 1200 FI models as I am very intimate with these. Same with my '95 1500. I like reading about the restoration projects of the 1000/1100 GWs as well as issues since you never know what direction you may go. In this regard don't comment on the 1000/1100 issues very often since I don't have one, and these are different than the 1200. Time of the year, moved on to a different bike or GW model, and other reasons impact how/when/if a response is given. With the amount of information on these forums, a good research effort can generally get an answer to the question. Failing this an OEM manual is your best friend. Good luck with your project.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort

Post by MikeB »

Don't let it get to you Joneszy, it is not just the GL1000 or GL1100 owners/users/new bee's, it happens on the GL1500 and GL1800 boards too.

I do know what you are feeling though. Many times I will spend fifteen minutes to an hour looking things up for posters with questions and problems only to have them never return. It is very disappointing to have that happen. When it does, I will go and sulk for a few hours only to come back and continue to try and help again. Truth is, I end up learning a lot by just looking things up for others. So it is a learning experience for me even if the original poster never comes back.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

the major problem is, a newbie comes along, and searches for 'forums' and registers to all 13-1/2 of them.
then he posts the same exact post, and never returns to most of them.

it is a fact of life, and you just have to not let it get to you.

what is very aggravating, is to see the same exact post on two very popular forums, and help is offered on both, usually from the same exact gurus on each forum..

the OP never says boo, just reads the help, and leaves.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

This thread is a good example of getting a "helpful" reply. Read your short rant when you posted, but decided to wait to see if anyone else was going to jump into the fray. Never know what response you will get when replying to a thread like this. Fast forward a few days and there are a lot of comments and encouragement for you. MikeB and AZgl1800 are bang on in that many want a quick fix, and when it is given, never heard from again. It takes time to put together a good response. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

Joneszy wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:08 pm
<...>Just kind of wonder why there seems to be so many of these one posters and why more of them don't seem to stick around. In Goldwingdocs defence maybe if I spent more time here I would have realized that there were folks with 3800 and 1300 posts. Not knocking this site just seemed to me that we attract folks that ask a question and are never heard from again.
Believe me when I state that I'm not denigrating this fine establishment, but what incentive is there to 'stick around?'

The forum name implies some wealth of information (there is...) here for the taking, and maybe as a n00b, I can get my answer and move on to solve my problem. My suspicion is a vast majority of those that are actively participating here and at other forums, started off with some of those very same types of questions.

The social aspects of being a motorcycle owner/operator is taken care of at other social media locations on the web.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

Joneszy
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"

Post by Joneszy »

AZgl1800 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:23 am
the OP never says boo, just reads the help, and leaves.
I guess that is the major source of my "rant". As others have said it takes time to put together an informative response and it would be nice to see the OP say "thanks that helped" or nope had to do this. Oftentimes the threads just end with no solution posted. And as the previous poster said "what incentive is there to stick around" and you are right about that. I don't really want someone to stick around unless this forum or any forum contributes to their enjoyment of this hobby, but I do think that posters should at least be acknowledged. I am by no means a mechanical whiz but do like to contribute once in a while if I can to help pay back help I have received in the past. I really don't expect everyone to do this, it is just my way of saying thanks. Other folks just want their bike to be rideable and I get that. Been interesting hearing that others think a bit along the same lines

Wing--Man
Motorcycle: Its-A-Wing--Man

Post by Wing--Man »

Joneszy, I know your dilemma. There are always a rotten apple or three in the bunch, regretfully.

Asking for 'just facts' and the early posters offer rather stupid snide remarks. As the thread progresses it gets out of hand and when you try to defend yourself you are the one being banned.

When I had a HD it was ungodly worse. I simply gave up and sold it, went Goldwing. SO MUCH NICER CROWD HERE. ;)
It is good we have dreams, for if they were real, most would not be alive.
Smile for yourself next time you wake up, you have another fine day to live.

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

Joneszy wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:01 am
I don't really want someone to stick around unless this forum or any forum contributes to their enjoyment of this hobby, but I do think that posters should at least be acknowledged. I am by no means a mechanical whiz but do like to contribute once in a while if I can to help pay back help I have received in the past. I really don't expect everyone to do this, it is just my way of saying thanks.
If I was 'king for a day' :lol:

Seriously, one of the largest liabilities is the permission structure that forums generally have. They're (mostly) free for the reading, yet many users simply can't manipulate a computer query good enough to suss out an answer to their current dilemma. Sometimes the permissions are setup so that you have to get an account before being able to post. It's a crap-load easier to write a (semi-)coherent post with a question for someone to answer. Somewhat like seventh grade homework - you *could* do it, but better to have your smart buddy clue you in on a few of the problems, so you can get done and go out to play before dinner. :)

So, what do they do? Get access to one or more forums, ask their question(s) and wait. If they posted to four forums, as an example, and the next time they checked in two hours, two of the forums had users that were willing, knowledgeable and able to write a coherent answer. Armed with their answers, they run off, solve their problem, and disappear into the ether.

Yet, you do have the other side of the coin, where two, three, or more people appear to have the knowledge on a topic, yet dispute each other's findings. See all threads about lubrication, filters, fluids, tires, and a whole host of other related topics here and elsewhere.

this has been going on for awhile: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25755
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

one more bug-a-boo is that today, the vast majority of users are viewing our forums from a cellphone.

typing on those damn things is frustrating at best.....
some folks use the Voice to Text feature which really leaves a post full of mangled, run on sentences, which are really difficult to read/understand.

this to me, is just more encouragement for them to not reply at all once they find their fix.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

jcn59
Motorcycle: 1986 1200A Aspencade

Post by jcn59 »

Maybe they are people like me. I've been onboard for a year since I bought my 2nd "wing. I enjoy reading the various posts to get a sense for what the bike's strengths and weaknesses are. I may or may not have asked questions but based on the questions and replies made by others here, I've developed a sense for how dependable my bike might be. For this, I thank you all.

TwoTone Trike
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GoldWing 1500se/2012 Hannigan Trike, 1953 Panhead, 1973 Electra Glide sold

Post by TwoTone Trike »

Hey Joneszy, Don't despair, there are enough of us on here that care that far exceeds those that don't. :D :D 8-)

Joneszy
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"

Post by Joneszy »

Thanks all for the replies. I won't be going anywhere and appreciate all your thoughts. I get a lot of new knowledge and reward out of this site and really appreciate the members who are helpful and considerate. Quickly realized looking at some of the post counts that apply to the responders that I am truly the noob on this and other forums
Have a great CANADA DAY EH! ;)