Red or blue threadlocker

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Old Buck
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Red or blue threadlocker

Post by Old Buck »

My question for the day,
I am a first timer at changing timing belts and in the process of changing the timing belts on my 2000 GL 1500 SE and following the Tutorial. I am now looking at installing the new belts. My question is I am to use red threadlocker on the belt tensioner bolts and wondering how tough it will be to remove the bolts in the future and if blue threadlocker is sufficient.
Thanks so much
Old Buck

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Re: Red or blue threadlocker

Post by Elmobile »

Good day from Nova Scotia,
When I did mine I just torqued the bolts. I didn’t use any thread locker. You could use the blue one if you’d like. The red one is almost as good as welding :shock: Not a good idea in my opinion.

Old Buck
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Old Buck »

Thanks Elmobile
Ya Red makes me nervous. I have blue on them now so I'm committed 😁

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

It's not a Harley. You don't need threadlocker at all. The Goldwings don't vibrate enough need anything more than Proper torque.
Russell

If I don't do Facebook or Twitter do I still have to do Social Media Distancing????
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

wezx
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Post by wezx »

On both my Goldwing and my V-Twin Chopper I use blue almost exclusively, and specifically Loctite 243 because of the improved oil tolerance over 242. For most things Blue is more than sufficient. I only use Red in a couple of places...mainly the main shaft nut on the V-twin. Can’t really think of anywhere I would use Red on a Goldwing. Red really isn’t “permanent” per se. Heat will allow for removal of course and on large bolts, like the aforementioned main shaft nut, high torque (breaker bar or impact) will remove them without heat. But on smaller fasteners you definitely run the risk of stripping/breaking the fastener if you don’t use heat with Red. One thing Red is great for is if you have stripped or damaged threads on a mirror mount or other accessory. It can hold for quite awhile and delay a replacement or even negate the need for a replacement all together.

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

I worked in aerospace...and the number of Loctite (and other...) brands can be mind numbing.

Perhaps a quick reference might be this Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread-locking_fluid and the chart within.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

wezx

Post by wezx »

kwthom wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:49 pm
I worked in aerospace...and the number of Loctite (and other...) brands can be mind numbing.

Perhaps a quick reference might be this Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread-locking_fluid and the chart within.
Yes, it can be confusing because with Loctite they have several types within each color. That Wiki chart is a good general guide, but I think this chart from Henkel (makers of Loctite) is far more comprehensive and complete: https://henkeladhesivesna.com/henkeldoc ... _Links.pdf

wezx

Post by wezx »

Another lesser known product from Loctite are their bearing retainer fluids, which are green in color. Confusingly, the wicking type threadlockers are also green so you have to pay attention to the model number. Here’s info on the bearing retainer fluids including a chart detailing all the different formulations. They work very well.

And no, I don’t work for Henkel or Loctite LOL. I’ve just spent a lot of time researching their fluids. Incidentally, from what I’ve been told Permatex was previously owned by Henkel and that’s why Permatex threadlockers have a similar model numbering system, though nowhere near as many fluid models and variations.

http://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content/hen ... gnGuidepdf

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 »

My advice? Don't use red Locktite on anything you might need to take apart again, EVER! Use it & you can consider those parts permanently welded together, particularly on aluminum parts, where the fasteners are several times stronger than the engine.

wezx

Post by wezx »

Mh434 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:17 pm
My advice? Don't use red Locktite on anything you might need to take apart again, EVER! Use it & you can consider those parts permanently welded together, particularly on aluminum parts, where the fasteners are several times stronger than the engine.
Use heat to easily remove any Red Loctited fasteners...

wezx

Post by wezx »

Another good thing to know about Loctite/Permatex (and probably most other threadlockers) is that they have anti-seize/anti-galling properties according to the techs I’ve spoken with both at Henkel and Permatex. There are a lot of circumstances where you need anti-seize (Nickel anti-sieze for stainless fasteners into aluminum for example) but you also need the fastener to not vibrate loose. A threadlocker can give you both benefits.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

Just used some blue stuff liberally on a spare tire bolts on a Ural. Apparently they had some white stuff that was a little difficult to break loose and bolts were a softer steel (might replace these out) Have heard that red stuff just needs heated to loosen but never tried it. When I replaced those belt tensioners I didn't use loctite either just torqued to spec but it doesn't seem like a bad idea.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

wezx

Post by wezx »

Happytrails wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:51 pm
Just used some blue stuff liberally on a spare tire bolts on a Ural. Apparently they had some white stuff that was a little difficult to break loose and bolts were a softer steel (might replace these out) Have heard that red stuff just needs heated to loosen but never tried it. When I replaced those belt tensioners I didn't use loctite either just torqued to spec but it doesn't seem like a bad idea.
You should be fine just torquing those tensioner bolts. I didn’t use any threadlocker when I replaced my timing belts, though Blue wouldn’t hurt anything either. A Goldwing isn’t gonna have anywhere near the vibration of say, a V-twin.

Yep, just a little blast with a torch will soften Red for removal.