High output verses standard alternator

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: High output verses standard alternator

Post by Charlie1Horse »

My 92 Interstate still has the original alternator at 98,000 miles and still working well. I have a standard Wal Mart lead/acid battery and recently replaced it with another just like it. I put the old battery in my 86 Aspencade and it works well for that bike. I keep a battery tender on it though since it hasn't been ridden in three years. But, now I am getting it back up and working again to show off (bike shows). It is also in really good condition with the original stator still working well. It has close to 90,000 miles. Never had a starting problem with either one. The only thing I have done is to change all the running, tail, stop, turn lights to LED which puts less draw on the charging/battery system. So good, so far.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

mrenfro
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by mrenfro »

My 1990 SE just died and would not start back. Cruise controls and gauge sights acting funny just before it died. Put new AGM battery in it year before last, always on a battery tender. It built up a little in the 2hours it took me to go get a trailer, but just enough to turn over a few times but not start. I'll test it this week, but I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering a LActrical alternator soon. 27 years is pretty good service out of the original alternator.

KerryOkie
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500 Goldwing

Post by KerryOkie »

I have the need for high output also. Lights amp ect... I have a1988 gl1500 converted trike. Does any one have the part number for the lactrical one bought off Amazon. Not every part on a 1990 will work on an 88.????
powerboater@pldi.net
Kerry

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike
1995 Kawasaki gt550 Trike

Post by terryt »

Im running a std alternator on my trike. for all the extra marker lights lower spot lights and fog lights plus the sat nav and charging usb points I have a small motorbike battery on a split charge relay to run them. if the battery goes below 12.5 volt the relay switches off so not to pull the power from the main battery. works for me. all is the side pannier

KerryOkie
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500 Goldwing

Post by KerryOkie »

Terryt
Can you show me a schematic or give me more info. On what parts to get. I thought of another btry but not sure the best way to use it. I have changed most of the bulbs to LEDs but not all yet. Main draw on mine i think the headlight, and two small radio amps.
Kerry
Attachments

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike
1995 Kawasaki gt550 Trike

Post by terryt »

KerryOkie wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:59 am
Terryt
Can you show me a schematic or give me more info. On what parts to get. I thought of another btry but not sure the best way to use it. I have changed most of the bulbs to LEDs but not all yet. Main draw on mine i think the headlight, and two small radio amps.
Kerry
This is the system I used. All brought on ebay uk.
I used a small motorbike battery as I kept it all in the side pannier that I partitioned off so I could still use it. The live feeds for the relays were taken from the bike 12volt aux power on top of the fuse box all ground wires were taken from the bike at a suitable point and tested for continuity. the power from accessories from the aux fuse box we taken to separate switches mounted on the fairing again with grounds going to a suitable point. this all worked for my setup and all wires and accessories were tested before the battery's were linked. hope this is of some help.Terry